Pro-Life Kelburne Men's 2s Draw vs Edinburgh Uni 2s 1-1

On 18.11.17 - The Kelburne 2's hosted Edinburgh Uni 2s knowing they were in for a tough game following a previous 1-1 draw earlier in the season. On a rare sunny afternoon in Glasgow both teams started reasonable well but with neither creating any clear cut chances in the opening 15 minutes. The first major talking point happened midway through the first half when Andrew Duff received the ball up at the top of the circle skipped passed one defender and in the process of taking it round the keeper was bundled over in what can be described as clumsy tackle at best from the keeper. Both umpires looked at each other and with neither making a decision play ended with a hit out to the defence. Minutes later after some good work down the left side from Mike Jones his pass found Ross Wallace on the base line who again looked to be fouled but managed to stay on his feet to get a shot off but it was comfortably saved. It was Edinburgh Uni that could and probably should have taken the lead when their forward found himself free in the circle but dragged his shot wide. In the final ten minutes of the half Kelburne won two short corners but failed to convert either. In a fairly even half both teams showed enough to believe they could push on for the win. Half time 0-0

After a spirited team talk from coach Colin McClure, Kelburne began all the brighter trying to press Edinburgh Uni higher up the pitch. This led to Kelburne winning the ball in more dangerous positions but unfortunately some wayward shooting and some last ditch tackles kept the score line goalless. However, with the higher press from Kelburne, this did leave some gaps which the Uni manage to exploit with their fast counter attacking style. Fortunately, from Kelburne’s point of view, these attacks came to nothing thanks to the back four of Mark Connor, Fraser Scott, Stuart Robin and Phil Nijsen. Entering the last ten minutes it was Edinburgh Uni that took the lead through a penalty flick beating Douglas McEwan low to his right. With five minutes remaining Kelburne broke out from the back and when Ewan Carmichael found Mike Jones inside the circle his clever square pass eliminated the goalkeeper to allow Ross McPherson to finish in what would prove to be a deserving equalising goal. Edinburgh Uni pushed hard in the remaining two minutes to find a winner but thanks to Douglas McEwan in the Kelburne goal the team held on to take the win. In the end it was a good point for Kelburne against a strong and disciplined Edinburgh Uni team . Kelburne 2s take on Grange 2s next Sunday in the final game before the winter shut down.

Then indoor pursues!