Pro-life Kelburne Mens 5s Beat Greenock 2s

On 14.4.18: In a lovely setting on a balmy (by recent standards) Saturday afternoon in Largs the Kelburne 5s took on a strong Greenock 2nd team. After losing the earlier meeting between the teams it was clear from the start that Greenock were keen to make up for this, and started the stronger shooting just past the right hand post early on. Their early pressure paid off when they won a short corner and fired high into the net, giving Fionn Wilson in goal no chance after just 5 minutes. Kelburne reacted well as first Charlie Feeney was unlucky to see his shot deflected past and then Sam Hunt had his well taken attempt saved by the keeper, Don was first to react but unfortunately his strike came back off the post. Play then went back up the other end as Fionn reacted well to save following another Greenock attack, to keep the score down. Greenock were then awarded another short corner, but Willie Hunt was out to clear this quickly to make sure there was no repeat from earlier. As Greenock continued to press, Callum Brown broke up their attack and quickly started a Kelburne counter with some nice stick play. This started a period of sustained pressure from Kelburne with Don feeding young Rory Donaldson, who was unfortunate to see his shot saved. Jared Bolland came off the bench and quickly got into the match passing in to Don who won a short. Following some great play from Rory, he laid it back for Dick, whose well struck shot was unable to be diverted in at the back post. As the 1st half was coming to a close, Kelburne kept up this pressure with some nice interplay from Dick and Don and again young Rory and Dick resulting in another shot being well saved by the keeper.  They wouldn't let up and after some great pressing from Jared, the ball broke to Hamish who found young Tommy Austin with a nice pass, and the reverse stick finish was sublime - quickly renamed from the side as the Tommyhawk! With just a couple of minutes left, Fionn had to be on his toes to make sure there was no quick response. There was still time for Rory to force a long corner and after some nice dribbling, a fine shot from Dick was once again denied by a great save. Half Time 1-1. Kelburne started the 2nd half where they left off with Charlie pressuring the Greenock defence to turn over possession. After just 5 minutes, following some lovely wing play from Sam he sent a well struck reverse stick pass to the centre and young Charlie ran in to finish with aplomb, sending it by the sprawling keeper to give the Kelburne team a 2-1 lead. Further pressure resulted in 2 quick short corners, the first a shot from Hamish again kept out by the alert keeper. The 2nd resulted in 2 shots from Don the first saved and 2nd into the side netting.

Following further skill from Sam down the right he again fired into the centre but as the defender missed it Jared was unable to take advantage as it came to him quickly. Another short for Kelburne resulted in a shot from Willie this time, but the same result as the keeper kept it out. After some lovely play from Calum Fleming he cleverly fed into Don who was once again denied by another fantastic save from the keeper. He was certainly out to make sure Don's dry streak in front of goal continued. Hamish then suffered a nasty cut to the eye which forced him off and Dick also had to leave the field around this time which seemed to disrupt the team for a spell. Young Rowan McClure in goal for the 2nd half had to be on his guard and did well to turn a Greenock shot round the post. As they continued to press, they forced a short corner and just as they thought they had scored, Scott Peters stepped in to make a fantastic goal line clearance to deny the equaliser. Unfortunately this only delayed the event as following another short a powerful hit to the bottom corner evaded Rowan's attempt to save it. With only a few minutes left, the young Kelburne team didn't let their heads go down, and as anyone who has watched them this season will know, they fight to the very end of every game, and so it proved once again. Following a great steal from Don he passed in to the centre and young Charlie was there on hand to fire his 2nd and the game winning goal past the keeper, as if to show Don how it's done. A well deserved and hard fought victory, which moved them back up to 2nd in the league.  Full Time: Greenock (2s) 2 - 3 Kelburne (5s).

Next Saturday 21st April Kelburne 5s travel to ON-X Linwood to play against Anchor in a local derby.