Kelburne Mens' 5s Lose to Greenock Morton 2s

20.4.19 - On a sunny Saturday afternoon, the Kelburne 5s travelled down the coast to take on Greenock Morton 2s. Coming after a win against a strong Giffnock 2s side, the young Kelburne team were looking to continue their good run of form. Unfortunately, it was to be a proverbial game of two halves.

First Half – The opening moments were fairly even, with the first real opportunity going to Greenock after 8 minutes but the short corner was dealt with by the Kelburne defence. Following a green card for one of the Greenock players, Kelburne had a good spell of play with Nicholas Knox playing in a couple of good passes across the D which found no takers.

Play continued to back and forth until 19 minutes when Kelburne went ahead. Andrew McGrane harried a Greenock defender in the D, won the ball and played it to Tommy Austin (who celebrating his birthday that day). Tommy shielded the ball well and laid the ball off for Dick Donaldson to shoot past the Greenock keeper.

On 21 minutes, Greenock had another short corner but it was well closed down by Willie Hunt, who was sitting in front of the Kelburne defence and intercepting a lot of Greenock through passes. Later on in the half, a good ball into the D by Ian McIntyre saw Tommy win a short corner. However, the pass out from the corner bobbled on what was proving to be a difficult playing surface.

The half closed with Kelburne on top, with good runs from both Dylan Bradley and Dick, with the later forcing a save from the Greenock keeper.

HT Greenock Morton 2s 0-1 Kelburne 5s

Second Half – Greenock 2s began the half with a higher tempo and pushing higher up the pitch. This pattern was to continue throughout the second half and seemed to turn the match against the young Kelburne side.

On 40 minutes, the Greenock pressure paid off. A dribbling run across the pitch followed by a pass back into the D found an open Greenock attacker for the equalising goal. Kelburne immediately pushed forward to try and retake the lead, with a through ball by Nick finding Andrew but again the ball took a bobble on the sandy surface.

Greenock continued pressing forward. On 50 minutes, a great interception by Gordon Robbie cut out a dangerous attack but a minute later, Greenock took the lead. A long ball from midfield found its way through to a Greenock attacker free at the post to turn the ball home. Shortly after, Greenock extended their lead. A ball down the wing was passed across the D and although Rowan McClure made a fine save from the first attempt, there was nothing he could do to stop the follow up going in.

Kelburne looked to respond and on 60 minutes, a shot from Sam Hunt forced a good save by the Greenock keeper but 2 minutes later, Greenock scored a fourth. Interplay between Greenock players in the Kelburne D appeared to end with the ball lifted into the Kelburne player. However, no whistle came and the Greenock attacker continued on to score.

With the game drawing to a close, Greenock added a fifth goal in the last minute.

Despite the result, the match was yet another learning opportunity for the young 5s team who continue to grow as players with each game.

FT Greenock Morton 2s 5-1 Kelburne 5s