Q Bikes Kelburne 2s beat league leaders to remain in title fight

Watsonians 2s - 2

Q Bikes Kelburne 2s - 3 Q Bikes Kelburne 2s travelled to Edinburgh to face league leaders Watsonians looking to keep their hopes of another league title alive

after losing their previous two league games. Kelburne were without Fraser Hutchinson who broke his thumb in the previous game against Grange and also JG Shepherd who was drafted into

the 1st XI squad. Kelburne started on the front foot enjoying most of the possession in the opening ten minutes keeping Watsonians pinned in their own half. The first goal came when Kelburne countered a rare Watsonians attack breaking at pace to find Andy Bremner free on the baseline who squared the ball

to Andrew Duff who slotted past the helpless keeper. At this stage Kelburne were comfortable and looking to build on their solid performance so far, but it was Watsonians who grabbed the equaliser when they intercepted the ball in a dangerous position upfront. The ball was fired into the circle to the forward who in turn found his teammate at the back post to tap home. It was a well worked goal but Kelburne could feel

with some better marking it could have been avoided. Kelburne continued to cause the home team problems with Duff, Bremner and newly promoted from the 3's fourteen year old Finn Halliday all working hard to stretch the defence. Their hard work paid off when they won their first short corner. A poor push out resulted on Fraser Scott shooting

just wide. Both teams knowing the importance of the game got stuck in which lead to a few heated exchanges between players resulted in the umpires warning both captains this this would no longer be tolerated. There were to be

no more clear cut chances before half time and it finished 1-1. Ten minutes into the second half Kelburne were awarded a penalty stroke after good work down the left from Will Adams and Miles Goldie lead to the Watsonians defender deliberately fouling when Goldie was in the process of shooting. Bremner stepped up gave the keeper the eyes and sent him

the wrong way. 2-1 Kelburne. Shortly after Kelburne were 3-1 up when Andy Bremner knocked home his second of the day after good work in the midfield form Matt McGinley. Watsonians now threw caution to the wind and pushed forward but the defence of Stuart Robin, Will Adams, Fraser Scott and Martin Byrne held firm. With Watsonians probing further up the pitch this left Kelburne with the

counter attack. Kelburne could have had a fourth but Goldie shot narrowly wide. There was a brief break in play when Ewan Carmichael failed to pick up a slightly lifted pass and controlled it on his chest. After Carmichael caught his breath Kelburne looked to keep control of the last 5

minutes to see out the game. Watsonians got a lifeline when a careless pass from Fraser Scott allowed the Watsonians forward to walk into the circle and finish neatly

in the corner. 3-2 With two minutes to go Watsonians pushed for the equaliser, they got their chance when the home umpire gifted them a short corner when she adjudged Miles Goldie to have pushed over the attacker. Everyone else on the pitch saw the attacker swing for the ball miss and fall over but the corner

stood. Watsonians set up their corner team knowing this would likely be the last chance to salvage a point, but fortunately from Kelburne’s point of view Fergus Barrows pulled off a brilliant diving save to send the

three points back to Paisley.

Final score- Watsonians 2s 2-3 Q Bikes Kelburne 2s Kelburne can be proud of their performance after a run of poor results against a team that had not lost in the league for almost two

years stretching back to their division 2 days. Kelburne’s hopes of a 13th title in 14 years are still alive but need a few results to go their way.