Good win for Q-Bikes Kelburne Mens 2s against old rivals Clydesdale

Clydesdale 2s ? 0

Q-Bikes Kelburne 2s ? 1

Saturday 19th September 2015

Kelburne traveled to local rivals Clydesdale knowing they were in for a tough game having only managed to overcome them in a penalty shoot-out in the final game of last season. For the second week in a row Kelburne struggled to name a full squad. With some last minute changes and call ups we managed to gather together 12 players for the trip across town.

On a rare sunny afternoon in Glasgow both teams started reasonable well but with neither creating any clear cut chances in the opening 15 minutes. The first major talking point happened midway through the half when Don Tervit received the ball up at the top of the circle skipped passed one defender and in the process of taking it round the keeper was bundled over in what can be described as clumsy tackle at best from the keeper. Both umpires looked at each other and with neither making a decision play ended with a hit out to the defence. Minutes later after some good work down the left side from Miles Goldie his pass found Tervit on the base line who again looked to be fouled but managed to stay on his feet to get a shot off but it was comfortably saved. It was Clydesdale that could and probably should have taken the lead when their forward found himself free in the circle but dragged his shot wide. In the final ten minutes of the half Kelburne won two short corners but failed to convert either. In a fairly even half both teams showed enough to believe they could push on for the win.

Half time Clydesdale 2s  0-0 Q-Bikes Kelburne 2s

After a spirited team talk from player coach Ewan Carmichael Kelburne began the brighter trying to press Clydesdale higher up the pitch. This lead to Kelburne winning the ball in more dangerous positions but unfortunately some wayward shooting and some last ditch tackles kept the score line goalless. However with the higher press form Kelburne this did leave some gaps which Clydesdale manage to exploit with their fast counter attacking style. Fortunately from Kelburne?s point of view these attacks came to nothing thanks to the back four of Mark Connor, Fraser Scott, Richard Morgan and Fraser Hutchison. Entering the last ten minutes it was Clydesdale that had the best opportunities to break the deadlock with two short corners, first was blocked by Ewan Carmichael and the second cleared by Fraser Scott. With the game looking to be destined to finish goalless it was Kelburne that broke out from the back and when Ross McPherson found Don Tervit inside the circle his clever square eliminated the goalkeeper to allow Ross Wallace to finish in what would prove to be the winning goal. Clydesdale pushed hard in the remaining two minutes to find the equaliser but thanks to Doug Turner in the Kelburne goal the team held on to take the win.

In the end it was a good win for Kelburne against a strong and disciplined Clydesdale team that will no doubt feel they should have taken something from the game.

Full time Clydesdale 2s  0-1 Q-Bikes Kelburne 2s

Q-Bikes Kelburne 2s are not in action next week due to the September weekend but will return the following week to take on Uddingston 2s.