Kelburne Q bike Mens 2nd Xl lose first league game in 2 years

Kelburne Q bike Mens 2nd Xl vs Watsonians Mens 2s

Saturday 24th October

Kelburne were heading into this game in great form with 5/5 wins and only conceding one goal. Watsonians had a good run going themselves, being unbeaten in the first 5 games of their new season. Kelburne didn't make easy for themselves having a few key players unavailable but kelburne always have the ability within their squads with the depth they have available to them to get a result.

The game started very evenly with the newly promoted champions getting on the end of some of the bigger chances. Hitting the post with a deflection and making young keeper Fergus Barrows make some great saves to keep it 0-0. After the first 20 mins had past that's when kelburne started to get chances of their own. Winning several short corners due to great work in the D by Andrew Duff, JG Shepherd and young Ross Wallace, though could not convert any of them despite strikes from Fraser Hutchison, Matt Mcginlay and Michael Nicol. All couldn't get it past the keeper in goals. Just before half time the game had its first twist of the match which seen A.Duff seeing yellow for an off the ball incident of violent conduct which had him sitting at the side for 10 mins. This saw out the last 4 mins of the half.

Half time Kelburne Q bike Mens 2nd Xl 0-0 Watsonians Mens 2s

Kelburne, starting the half with 10 men were still moving the ball about the back and we're happy to keep it, with the opposition pressing higher up the pitch trying to win the ball with the extra man advantage. The first goal of the game finally came from a forced ball through the middle was picked up by the watsonians midfield who caught kelburne on the break, the ball entered the D and a flick over the keeper saw the first goal go to the visitors. 0-1

For the first time this season kelburne were behind in a match, the message was "keep playing the way we do" kelburne didn't have time to get focused as the away team grabbed a loose ball deep in the kelburne half and scored another slipping the ball under the keeper?s legs. 0-2

Kelburne were now searching for a goal to desperately get them back into this game, with several chances falling there way again to A.Duff, Ross Wallace and Matt Mcginlay. None of which could be converted into a goal for the home team. With all this pressing up the pitch searching for a goal the defence got caught on the break and the away were able to add a third goal to the score line 0-3.

This hugely killed off the game and watsonians were able to see the remaining minutes of the game out.

Full time Kelburne Q bike Mens 2nd Xl 0-3 Watsonians Mens 2s

This was a major shock to the system for kelburne as this is their first defeat in 2 years. Next week they have to bounce back and believe they will do so with a cup game at home on sat and then back to league action away to Western Wildcats on the Sunday.