Bromac Kelburne Mens 1s through to quarter final of Scottish Cup

Western Wildcats v Bromac Kelburne Mens 1s

Saturday 31st October

Bromac Kelburne crossed the city this weekend in a must win cup match to play the Western Wildcats at their home pitch, in the first grudge match of the season. This fixture is always a well contested match and with both teams desperate to progress, the pressure was on to perform. On the side line for the away team this week was Michael Christie and Craig Morton who were unable to play due to injury. Both teams started well with the game being played at a high tempo. Kelburne retaining the majority of position passing the ball around at will, however it was the home team that had the first chance of the game when the ball was crashed into the D but there was no one at the back post to take advantage. It didn?t take long though for Kelburne to start threatening the Western defence and after only 7 minutes Bromac Kelburne took the lead. A scope from Garry Maitles found Jack Makenzie and he was able to drive the base line, beating the Western defender and as the goalie came sliding out to close him down he chipped it over him to get the first goal of the match. Kelburne were able to keep the pressure on the home team, maintaining the majority of the position but were unable to increase their lead, as the Western defence was able to deal with everything the away team throw at them. The home team to turned defence into attack and was able to create chances of their own, managing to get several short corners in arrow. However, the defending short corner team with Ben Rennie in goals was able to keep the ball out of the goal. After twenty minutes the home team had a man green carded after the player hit the ball away, preventing Kelburne from taking a quick hit that would have led to a break away.

With just over five minutes till half time, the home team was able to bring the score level, when they scored a drag flick from a penalty short corner. Things continued to go in Westerns favours when in the last few minutes of the first half Josh Cairns was shown a yellow card when he tried to make a slide tackle but made contact with the striker. This first half ended with both teams level, Bromac Kelburne 1 ? Western Wildcats 1 but with Kelburne with only 10 men.

Half time Western Wildcats 1-1 Bromac Kelburne Mens 1s

The second half got underway and it started in the same way as the first half ended with both teams having their fair share of the ball and creating plenty of chances, egger to get the decisive next goal. It was the away side that scored first, when Jonathan Christie found himself with the ball in the D after a well worked break away. As the Western keeper came running out, Jonathan Christie hit the into the top right hand corner of the goal. Having managed to get themselves in front for the second time in the match Kelburne showed no signs of letting up, pushing for a third goal to secure their lace in the next round of the cup. The away team did not have to wait long to put the game to bed, as they were awarded a penalty flick after a Western runner from a defending short corner committed a bad tackle on Christopher Nelson. It was none other than the Kelburne captain, Jonathan Christie who stepped up to take the penalty. Although the Western keeper was able to get a touch of the ball he was unable to stop the ball from ending up in the back of the goal. Bromac Kelburne 3 ? Western Wildcat?s 1. Although trailing by two goals Western continued to press Kelburne high in their own half and although managing to get a number of short corners they were unable to put the ball in the back of the goal. While pressing the Kelburne defense the home team left themselves vulnerable at the back that Jonathan Christie was more than happy to exploit, reversing the ball into the back of the goal to complete his hat-trick.

Full time Western Wildcats 1-4 Bromac Kelburne Mens 1s