Men's 2s Comfortably into Cup Semi Final

Dundee Wanderers                 1
Thomson Cycles Kelburne    5 

Kelburne 2XI went into this cup tie on the back of a comfortable 2-0 win the previous day. With many regulars unavailable, the team was down to its bare minimum of just 11 players meaning it would be a tough game physically. The team travelled to Dundee hoping to advance to the semi finals. 

Kelburne started brightly and got their reward in the first ten minutes when Matt McGinely received the ball down the line from a Connor Bain pass, Matt then cooly beat one player before squaring the ball across to JG Shepherd who was standing unmarked to sweep the ball into the back of the net to make it 1-0. 

Kelburne continued to press wanderers forcing them to hit hopefully. Any balls that made it up field were dealt with by Fraser Scott and Harry Godfrey at centre back.However towards the end of the half, Kelburne began to tire and wanderers replied with a well taken short corner into the bottom left hand corner. The rest of the half was very scrappy with few clear cut chances. 

Half Time: Dundee Wanderers 2XI 1-1 Thomson Cycles Kelburne 2XI 

The second half began with Kelburne playing the ball around the back looking for an opening in the Wanderers defence. They found the breakthrough when Fraser Hutchison played a pass to McGinely at the edge of the D, he subsequently then passed to Shepherd on the baseline who returned it to Matt in the D. His first shot was saved but was quick to react and got on the rebound with a cool reverse into the bottom corner to make it 2-1. Kelburne pressed again for another goal to kill the game off and found it when Andrew Bremner notched up his 20th of the season after a great cutback by McGinely on the baseline following good work from Ewan Carmichael to find him. 

At 3-1 down wanderers needed to chase the game and pushed more players forward. However their efforts were well marshalled by Scott and Godfrey and when the did manage to get a shot on target, Fergus Barrows was there to clear the danger in goals. With Wanderers pushing for a goal, More space opened up and a fourth goal was scored by new recruit Rory McMillan. Rory collected the ball after a great line pass from Neil McIntyre, McMillan then cut inside and passed it on to Hutchison, who then got his head up and found McGinely at top D, who deflected it back to Mcmillan who continued his run, he then found Bremner at back post who committed the keeper before giving it back to McMillan for an easy tap in to mark the end of a great team goal. 4-1 Kelburne. 

By this point wanderers heads were down and were beginning to get tired. A fifth and final goal then wrapped the cup tie up for the Paisley side. Ewan Carmichael and Hutchison played neat hockey in the midfield before Carmichael fired the ball in towards backpost where McGinely was waiting at p shot to deflect it past the helpless keeper to make it 5-1 and 2 for him. 

A hard fought but comfortable win in the end for the Paisley Side to advance to the semi final stage of the cup with a league and cup double still very much a possibility. 

Next Saturday, the 2s return to league action against inverleith 2s away in what will be a difficult game hoping to make it 15 wins out of 15.