Mens 1s win out in local derby

The Kelburne v Western fixture is always a stand-out game no matter what stage of the season it is and this game didn't disappoint. With Kelburne being crowned league champions for the 11th year in a row the team was keen to make a statement that their focus remained high with the up-and-coming play-offs. Western knew a win would secure there play-off position so there was a lot to play for in front of a packed Glasgow Green.
From the start Kelburne were out the traps quickly setting a high tempo which Western struggled to deal with, early shots on the western goal were dealt with by the current Scotland international keeper and former Kelburne player Gavin Somerville who was to go on and be Western's man-of-the-match with a number of fine saves.

After 7 mins it was captain Johnny Christie to open the account with a quick fire shot from the top off the circle after good build up play by Douglas Simpson and Lee Morton. It was all Kelburne with flowing moves causing Western a number of problems and it wasn't long before they doubled their lead on a counter-attack - a Johnny Christie through-ball to the in-form forward Jack McKenzie who unleashed a reverse stick shot into the bottom corner.

The experience of Iain Scholefield and Michael Christie playing in the back line was certainly a factor in Kelburne defending well and breaking down Western attacks, but in the 23rd minute a lazy stick-tackle resulted in a short corner being awarded which Western converted making the score 2-1.
On the 30 minute mark it was the young and ever-improving Jack McKenzie who was to slot the ball under the on-rushing keeper after great work from Chris Nelson and Michael Bremner. A crucial goal to go into the half time break leading 3-1.
The 2nd half was to be a lesson in fast flowing hockey with chance after chance being created, some great goal keeping from the western keeper and some poor finishing keeping the score at 3-1.
On the the 40th minute up stepped Douglas Simpson, the former Western forward, to finish with great composure to make the score line 4-1. Simpson has settled in fantastically well this season scoring vital goals for Kelburne and is now just shy of reaching the 30-goal mark. 
The odd break-away from Western was all they had to offer on what was to be an off afternoon from the team from Milngavie. With Kelburne having hit the bar and post it was only a matter of time before they scored their 5th goal of the day. Up stepped Simpson again to fire in the bottom right corner leaving the keeper rooted to the spot on the 45th minute. 
The game was to finish 5-1 but if Kelburne had finished off some more of their chances and not come up against a keeper who was on top form it quite easily could have been double figures.
Kelburne now have a weekend off before finishing up the league campaign against Clydesdale on the 11th of April. It's then the play offs where there opponents will be revealed on the conclusion off the league.