Men's 2's in dramatic finish

Kelburne                         2
Edinburgh University    2

Kelburne started their penultimate league game of the season, hoping to maintain their undefeated record,  with a much changed line-up. Injuries, call ups and work meant that six of their usual squad were not available.

Regardless, Kelburne started brightly, pushing the Yooooni deep into their half and creating several opportunities in quick succession, Adam McInnes had two short corner attempts well saved. Andrew Bremner was next to try his luck, the prolific forward deflecting just wide from a Matt McGinley cross. Five minutes later, Bremner carved out a second opportunity for himself, dispossessing the last defender and running on goal, the goalkeeper standing up well to smother the danger. The game had settled into a pattern, with Kelburne pressing high in the students half, limiting them to sporadic long ball breakaways.  With five minutes remaining in the half, it was beginning to look like one of those days for the Paisley side, as first Fraser Bone and then Bremner were denied by the on form keeper. In the final minute of the half father and son duo, Fraser and David Bone, combined on the right to set up McGinley, his shot was once again blocked, but Mark Conner was on hand to finish off the rebound. The half ended 1-0.

The students had a point to prove as they vied to finish above their own 3rd XI, starting the second half brilliantly, their lightening restart forcing Miles Goldie, and then Fergus Barrows into last ditch saves.  The encouraged students were soon level, as yet another long ball was expertly tipped in.

The match then descended into a midfield battle which looked as though one goal would be enough for either side. Midway through the half Jak O'Connell combined with Neil McIntyre and Connor Bain to win a short corner. McInnes' straight strike was too powerful for the initial block and rolled towards the line, only to be halted by a defenders foot. An unsighted umpire was unable to give the stone wall penalty flick.

This escape spurred the students on, as Barrows was again called upon to save from the rampaging hordes. Eventually the resistance was breached as a student was able to dink the ball along the baseline past a defender, and flick over the despairing Barrows. The Students retreated deep into their own half to protect their lead for the remaining 8 minutes. It looked as though this was going to be enough, with Kelburne limited to half chances. Just on the fulltime whistle, Kelburne were able to win a short corner; Harry Godfrey's injection was expertly stopped by veteran Fraser Scott and switched right to Bremner to strike at goal. His shot was illegally stopped resulting in another corner. This time Scott switched the ball left, fooling the onrushing defence. McGinley and Bremner had shots blocked before McInnes slammed the rebound high into the net, in a dramatic finale.  Final score 2-2.

Special mention must be made of Mark Conner, Jak O'Connell, Fraser and David Bone who stepped up to help, and were the more than able replacements!