Ladies 1s in Play Off Action

The Ladies 1s are in play off action this weekend as they look to secure a place in National League Division 1 next season. After an indifferent 1st half of the season they have shown good form in the later part and have given themselves a great chance of staying up. Looking ahead to the game Ladies coach Adam Bain commented.

"The team is looking hungry and confident, we are disappointed to be missing Kerri McGinnity, but are delighted to be welcoming back Laura Carlton, who will bring all of her international experience to the team. The teams form is good and after a good weeks training they are fully prepped and ready to go.

We have taken time, but the team has started to gel and the experience of the older players is now being complemented by the energy of the youngsters! With 20 players to choose from it has been the hardest selection of the season after some very good performances over past fortnight. The team is high on confidence and going for two good wins."

Captain Stevie McInally also reflected on the importance of the weekend.

"The team are anxious about the games we have coming up this weekend as there is a lot riding on it but we know if we play the way we have been, fast, attacking hockey the kelburne way then we should come away with the results we need. 

We know we are a strong team, everyone individual is now playing for the shirt! With the new attitude there is no doubt in my mind Kelburne will remain in Nat 1. The fear we may have is going to push us forward, the fear some may show is not due to a lack of skill or knowledge but comes from a place of unknown. The fear shows me that our team cares about where we end up and how our future will go.

All the kids that have been pulled up this season have shown great commitment, determination and a fight that has given us a new outlook.  We are looking forward to this weekend, with hope, fight and a little fear in our hearts."

The ladies face Watsonians with the first leg taking place at Peffermill at 16.30 on Saturday. The second leg of the play off takes place at Glasgow Green on Sunday with a 12.10 start. Get down and cheer them on.  

2015 AGM at Kelburne Clubhouse

Tuesday 5th May
7pm for 7.30pm start

All members are cordially invited to attend the 2015 AGM to cover the season just closing and to look forward to the new season starting in August 2015.

Office Bearer positions are available and we are seeking fresh faces and fresh ideas to take our Club forward. Feel free to make informal representation to any Committee member about roles available.

We require people with many different skills to become involved - skills such as personal communication skills, accountancy, business acumen, working with young adults and general life skills, are all very desirable and all representations will be very welcome.

Men's 1s in Championship Semi Final Action

On Saturday Bromac Kelburne travel to play Gordonians in the 1st leg of the new play-off format in Aberdeen. With the home and away legs being played in the same weekend there is no room for error as a place awaits in the final the following weekend at Glasgow Green resulting in the European places being decided.

Bromac Kelburne will be full of confidence and quite rightly having won there 11th title in a row but nothing can be taken for granted, with a few players leaving throughout the domestic season, coach Craig Harper will have his Gordonians side fired up and will fancy causing a upset.

Bromac Kelburne will be looking to take a couple goal advantage back to Glasgow Green on the Sunday where if the form guide is anything to go by they would certainly believe that they could settle the 2 legged affair in front of home supporters setting up a final against Grange or Western next weekend.

One way or another Kelburne will be fired up and looking to progress to the final having already secured the title. 
The home leg is on Sunday starting at 15.10 at Glasgow Green, get yourself along and cheer on the boys. 

Men's 2s do the double

Kelburne             1

Clydesale            1

Kelburne win 3-1 on pens.

Despite the trials and tribulation that Kelburne had been through they had made it to the District Cup final. The weeks before had seen lots of team members picking up injuries but all managed to piece themselves together for the cup final. A nervous but excited Kelburne team arrived at Glasgow Green on a scorching Sunday morning. It was obvious during the warm up both teams were motivated by the occasion. Due to league results Kelburne had to guard complacency as Clydesdale would be out for revenge on the big stage.       

Even though Kelburne started by pushing Clydesdale back into there own half due to the occasion they couldn?t create any chances. Clydesdale did have a few breaks and opportunities but again nerves seemed to stifle their ability to convert. As the half developed Clydesdale started to make more opportunities using long balls out of hope rather than expectation. However this was creating some success due to the jitters in the Kelburne defence. 

Kelburne?s press was working well letting the Kelurne side win the ball high up the pitch but due to miscommunication and poor passing the vital passes were not being made. Both teams were fighting hard to break the deadlock, which ended up with a Clydesdale players picking up cards. Even though Kelburne had the man advantage they could still not create the opportunity to score. The first clear opportunity came from a great link between Matt McGinlay and Miles Goldie that ended up with Goldie winning a short corner. Unfortunately Scott Sutherlands? drag flick was denied. Just before half time Clydesdale managed to push through the Kelburne defence with a long hopeful ball that was collected by a Clydesdale forward who managed to squeeze it by Fergus Barrows. 

Half time 1-0

Kelburne started the half strong giving it all they had to equalise. They were starting to make more chances but nothing that the Clydesdale keeper couldn?t handle. With more balls being picked up by Fraser Hutchison and Fraser Scott the Kelburne side was building in confidence. The game started to become more of a battle with members from both teams receiving cards. A short corner won by Andrew Duff gave Kelburne a great opportunity to grab an equaliser. The Clydesdale keeper saved the first shot from Adam McInnes but Fraser Hutchison managed to pick up on the rebound and slip it into the net. Clydesdale fought back but due to great saves from Barrows there efforts were denied. The full whistle blew and running penalties a waited.

Full time 1-1 

Clydesdale went first and the attacker ran wide to the left and tried to strike the ball on his reverse that Barrows managed to clear with ease.

Scott Sutherland stepped up to take Kelburne?s first penalty. He managed to round the keeper and place the ball nicely into the bottom corner.

0-1  Kelburne

Clydesdale's second attempt was brought closer to the goal and the attacker managed to catch Barrows off balance and slip the ball into the goal.

Matt McGinlay took Kelburne?s second where he managed to take the keeper to the left then sliding the ball into the right hand side of the goal.

1-2 Kelburne 

Ex-Kelburne player Jack Jamieson stepped up for Clydesdales third. He attacked with pace but gave Barrows too much room to slide in and clear the ball.

JG Shepherd managed to dummy the keeper but unluckily his shot went wide of the post.

1-2 Kelburne

The Clydesdale attacker ran into the left side of the D where Fergus came rushing out to clear the ball with great strength.

Fraser Scott stood up to what could be the winning penalty. Fraser managed to move the keeper about creating space for him to slot it in to the bottom left corner winning the district Cup Final. 

A well deserved win, which caps a fantastic season for the 2nd team. 

District Cup Final Preview

Kelburne 2nd XI are hoping to cap their league winning season, with more silver-wear, as they compete for the District cup final on Sunday.
Despite being forced to travel with a bare eleven on several occasions, seasoned campaigners Scott, Hutchison, Goldie, and Carmichael have managed to guide the squad through an undefeated league season to the championship for the 11th time in 12 years. New team members Adam McInnes and Neil McIntyre have been helped by cameo appearances from Veteran's Gordon Menzies, Matt McGinley and Ross MacPherson.

At times the standard, and intensity, of hockey produced has been unplayable, with several teams blown away during 15 minute purple patches. A disciplined and professional performance, which lives up to their high standards,  is required if Kelburne are to emerge successfully from Sundays game. 

The game is an 11.45pb at Glasgow Green on Sunday, entry is free, hope to see you there.
32 Connor Bain
2   Fergus Barrows            GK
21 Andrew Bremner           Vice Capt
30 Ewan Carmichael          Capt
27 Andrew Duff
31 Harry Godfrey
29 Miles Goldie                
22 Fraser Hutchison
     Douglas McEwan            GK
20 Matt McGinley             
36 Adam McInnes    
64 Neil McIntyre               
16 Gordon Menzies  
24 Fraser Scott          
34 John Gerard Shepherd
10 Scott Sutherland

Men's 5s Continue Great Escape

Pro-Life Fitness Kelburne 5?s        4
Anchor 2s                                        0
This was an important match for the 5s and a win would have gone a long way to help securing a position in the 2nd West District Division for next year. With such a young squad on show against a mature and experienced Anchor team, this was always going to be a tough ask. 

The team set-up was strong from the beginning. Keep the spine of the team strong and keep a disciplined structure - this was the motto. With Ewan Crawford and Alan Bryce in the centre at the back, Willie Allan and Martin Byrne anchoring the midfield, and Captain Ian McIntyre up-front, this kept the ?senior? spine of the team intact to give the team a good chance of success. David Ogilvie returned to the GK role for the physical game expected and with the rest of the slots being filled in by the up-and-coming young stars of the future??Niall Taylor at LB, Gavin Bantages at RB, Lucas Farndale in midfield beside Willie and Martin, with Ciaran Wilcox and John Miller up-front with Captain McIntyre, with the bench of Rory Anderson, Cammy McIntyre, the Whiting brothers and Grant Toghill.

The team started strongly and were making some nice interchange passes around the defence and midfield area although not making much headway to get inside the D to create an outcome. However Anchor were playing similarly and the ball became a hot potato around the midfield with the defences just clearing the ball forward for it to come back again, waiting for the incisive pass that was going to unlock the defence for either team to make a difference.

This then changed on 20 minutes when the yellows won a short corner and with Willie on strike, a cute shot was deflected off a defenders stick high in to the net. 1-0 to the 5s and they were on the up. The defence started moving the ball around the back, with the passes being made in to midfield and then to the 3 forwards who had made a change to being more centrally-aligned as opposed to being too far apart from each other. This resulted in some nice passing and dribbling moves and another drive from Allen in to the D who unleashed another shot in to the goal, with the goalie missing it completely, to make it 2-0 and increase the yellows lead. 

Then just before half-time, some neat inter-change work down the left-side by Byrne and Farndale found Anderson inside the left side of the D and his shot bumped under the goalies foot and glanced off the post along the back-line and despite the forwards best efforts, they couldn?t get the ball back across the D to make it count. Anchor at this point were restricted to just a couple of shots on target and easily saved by David Ogilvie although this would change in the 2nd half.

Half-time - Pro-Life Fitness Kelburne 5?s 2 ? 0 Anchor

The second half started more promisingly with the ball being moved across the back and bit more and then down the channels for the midfield or forward to pick-up and drive forward. Taylor at LB was easily and quickly finding Farndale and Anderson and on the left, Bantages at RB was finding Allen and Byrne with ease on the right, Allen was making some timely cack-handed tackles in the middle and the sight of a ginger bearded Byrne breathing down the Anchor midfield players neck was causing them to give the ball away cheaply. With Anchor now shelling the ball anywhere out of defence, from a panic-stricken clearance inside the Anchor D after another yellow attack, a painful ball-on-ankle injury to Anderson resulted in him being subbed and another change to the forward line. This resulted in a re-shaped team and a 3rd goal for Kelburne came quickly after this. A nice intricate move involving Miller and Wilcox created a nice pass from the latter being released in to the D for Craig to steal it and bundle it over the line at the back-post ? another goal for the goal-hungry youngster.! Young McIntyre then came on for Byrne to bolster the midfield and made some nice tackles and released some early passes to his team mates. 

Bantages was finding easy passes in to midfield and life was good however Anchor came back in to the game strongly with the Kelburne midfield being posted AWOL as they all pushed forward seeking more goals. With the discipline and shape being lost, and a couple of Senior players losing the mental focus, Anchor starting piercing through the midfield and defence and with a series of good moves on their part, they made 4 guilt-edged chances which brought out some incredible saves from Ogilvie. With the tip of his kicker, with his helmet, with his stick and any part of his body, nothing would go in for the blacks and this middle period of the 2nd half saw incredible chances squandered, keeping the yellows team sheet blank.

Then against the run of play for a 10 minute period, Kelburne got another short corner with the ball sweetly pushed out by el Capitano McIntyre, for Allan to stop it and switch to Byrne on the left who coolly slotted a cute shot across the goalkeepers front and in to the bottom right corner. A final scoreline of 4-0 for Kelburne which was well deserved on the day in keeping their structure and shape for large chunks of the game but more than anything, the result was well-deserved for their hunger and desire to win the match and stay in this league.

FT Pro-Life Fitness Kelburne 5?s 4-0 Anchor 2s

Well done team, 3 points well-deserved.

Men's 2s finish league unbeaten

Kelburne        8

Grange           0

Kelburne concluded their league campaign with a home game against Grange 3s. Once again it was a much changed squad, 1st XI goalkeeper Andrew Wilkie enjoyed a run outfield, and Luke Horton stepped up to make his debut.

Any fears of a repeat from yesterday were quashed after 3 mins when Adam McInnes scored with a straight strike from a penalty corner. Kelburne nearly added a second soon after; Wilkie gallivanted up the right, exchanged passes with Horton, before freeing Andrew Duff to play a  give-and-go  with Andrew Bremner, which created a great opportunity, which was unfortunately squandered. Two minutes later Duff made amends, bulleting a fantastic reverse strike past the goalkeeper after great work from Matt McGinley. After eight minutes it was 3-0; Debutant Horton on hand to sweep home after Scott Sutherland was able to run along the baseline.

McInnes doubled his tally from another short corner. His straight strike almost saved by the unfortunate keeper, but the rebound bouncing in with the help of a deflection. 4-0. Not wanting to be left out Bremner was next to register; deflecting home yet another McGinley assist. 5-0. Just before half time, Horton was unlucky not double his tally, as he deflected narrowly wide from a Sutherland through-ball. HT 5-0.

League champions Kelburne started the second half well, Sutherland won the ball on the left, found Fraser Scott who transferred the ball to Wilkie in space. His pass was then deflected high past the despairing 'keeper, and unfortunately just past the post by Bremner.

Bremner was not to denied for long: Harry Godfrey won possession with a tenatious tackle, played a 1-2 with Conner Bain and ran deep into the opposition half, passing to Fraser Scott, who then used great skill to bamboozle two players. Scott played in Bremner who turned the 'keeper inside out to score. 6-0.

Horton's energy was causing problems for Grange and he was involved in an exchange with Bremner which allowed Duff to notch his second. 7-0.

The scoring was completed as Sutherland despatched a drag flick from a penalty corner after Horton, Duff, and Bremner had drawn the set piece. Full time 8-0.

Once again, thanks to Luke Horton and Andrew Wilkie for stepping up, and proving some much needed energy!  

Men's 2's in dramatic finish

Kelburne                         2
Edinburgh University    2

Kelburne started their penultimate league game of the season, hoping to maintain their undefeated record,  with a much changed line-up. Injuries, call ups and work meant that six of their usual squad were not available.

Regardless, Kelburne started brightly, pushing the Yooooni deep into their half and creating several opportunities in quick succession, Adam McInnes had two short corner attempts well saved. Andrew Bremner was next to try his luck, the prolific forward deflecting just wide from a Matt McGinley cross. Five minutes later, Bremner carved out a second opportunity for himself, dispossessing the last defender and running on goal, the goalkeeper standing up well to smother the danger. The game had settled into a pattern, with Kelburne pressing high in the students half, limiting them to sporadic long ball breakaways.  With five minutes remaining in the half, it was beginning to look like one of those days for the Paisley side, as first Fraser Bone and then Bremner were denied by the on form keeper. In the final minute of the half father and son duo, Fraser and David Bone, combined on the right to set up McGinley, his shot was once again blocked, but Mark Conner was on hand to finish off the rebound. The half ended 1-0.

The students had a point to prove as they vied to finish above their own 3rd XI, starting the second half brilliantly, their lightening restart forcing Miles Goldie, and then Fergus Barrows into last ditch saves.  The encouraged students were soon level, as yet another long ball was expertly tipped in.

The match then descended into a midfield battle which looked as though one goal would be enough for either side. Midway through the half Jak O'Connell combined with Neil McIntyre and Connor Bain to win a short corner. McInnes' straight strike was too powerful for the initial block and rolled towards the line, only to be halted by a defenders foot. An unsighted umpire was unable to give the stone wall penalty flick.

This escape spurred the students on, as Barrows was again called upon to save from the rampaging hordes. Eventually the resistance was breached as a student was able to dink the ball along the baseline past a defender, and flick over the despairing Barrows. The Students retreated deep into their own half to protect their lead for the remaining 8 minutes. It looked as though this was going to be enough, with Kelburne limited to half chances. Just on the fulltime whistle, Kelburne were able to win a short corner; Harry Godfrey's injection was expertly stopped by veteran Fraser Scott and switched right to Bremner to strike at goal. His shot was illegally stopped resulting in another corner. This time Scott switched the ball left, fooling the onrushing defence. McGinley and Bremner had shots blocked before McInnes slammed the rebound high into the net, in a dramatic finale.  Final score 2-2.

Special mention must be made of Mark Conner, Jak O'Connell, Fraser and David Bone who stepped up to help, and were the more than able replacements!

Men's 2's Clinch Another Title

Kelburne     2    
Western      2

This weekend saw the Kelburne 2XI travel to Auchenhowie to play old rivals Western, in the knowledge that only a point was required to secure the league title. The team was missing injured Captain Ewan Carmichael.

The opening 15 minutes of the game saw Kelburne putting pressure on the Western Defence. Good work from the midfield of Fraser Hutchison, Miles Goldie and Rory Macmillan and the forward line of Andy Bremner, Andrew Duff and JG Shepherd led to Macmillan managing to get a shot away, which was well saved by the Western keeper. This was followed by continued Kelburne pressure resulting in a penalty corner being awarded. This pressure did not however result in a goal.

At spells during the first half western did well to put some pressure on the Kelburne defence, however the back line of Connor Bain, Fraser Scott, Adam McInnes and Harry Godfrey did well to contain any threat. Team boy Neil McIntyre also made some important tackles at left back. Good saves from Kelburne Keeper Fergus Barrows also meant that the Western forward line was unable to score.

With Kelburne continuing to pile on the pressure, Duff managed to get two shots away, once again to no avail. However, following some good build up play from midfield, McInnes played a pass in to back-post, where Duff was able to place the ball into the goal.

End of First Half, Kelburne 1 ? 0 Western.

The Second half began with Western pressing the Kelburne defence, and gaining a penalty corner, which was once again saved.

Following some skilful play from Craig Walker in the Western D, Kelburne were awarded a short corner. A good routine at top D saw Bremner deflect the ball into the net from back post. Kelburne 2 ? 0 Western.

Now two goals behind, Western once again went on the offensive, and following a breakdown in the Kelburne defence were able to slot the ball into goal at the near post. Kelburne 2 ? 1 Western.

Kelburne did gain more opportunities to put the result of the game beyond doubt, with Duff and McInnes unlucky not to see shots hit the back of the net.

In the dying minutes of the game, Western scored a penalty corner, drawing level with Kelburne.

Final Score, Kelburne 2 ? 2 Western.

This was a game that Kelburne will feel they could, and should have won. However, this result was all that was required to see the Kelburne 2XI crowned league champions for the twelfth time in thirteen years, and preserves their 100% undefeated record in the league this season.

The team now turns their focus to the remaining league games and the fast approaching Cup Final against Clydesdale. 

Mens 1s win out in local derby

The Kelburne v Western fixture is always a stand-out game no matter what stage of the season it is and this game didn't disappoint. With Kelburne being crowned league champions for the 11th year in a row the team was keen to make a statement that their focus remained high with the up-and-coming play-offs. Western knew a win would secure there play-off position so there was a lot to play for in front of a packed Glasgow Green.
From the start Kelburne were out the traps quickly setting a high tempo which Western struggled to deal with, early shots on the western goal were dealt with by the current Scotland international keeper and former Kelburne player Gavin Somerville who was to go on and be Western's man-of-the-match with a number of fine saves.

After 7 mins it was captain Johnny Christie to open the account with a quick fire shot from the top off the circle after good build up play by Douglas Simpson and Lee Morton. It was all Kelburne with flowing moves causing Western a number of problems and it wasn't long before they doubled their lead on a counter-attack - a Johnny Christie through-ball to the in-form forward Jack McKenzie who unleashed a reverse stick shot into the bottom corner.

The experience of Iain Scholefield and Michael Christie playing in the back line was certainly a factor in Kelburne defending well and breaking down Western attacks, but in the 23rd minute a lazy stick-tackle resulted in a short corner being awarded which Western converted making the score 2-1.
On the 30 minute mark it was the young and ever-improving Jack McKenzie who was to slot the ball under the on-rushing keeper after great work from Chris Nelson and Michael Bremner. A crucial goal to go into the half time break leading 3-1.
The 2nd half was to be a lesson in fast flowing hockey with chance after chance being created, some great goal keeping from the western keeper and some poor finishing keeping the score at 3-1.
On the the 40th minute up stepped Douglas Simpson, the former Western forward, to finish with great composure to make the score line 4-1. Simpson has settled in fantastically well this season scoring vital goals for Kelburne and is now just shy of reaching the 30-goal mark. 
The odd break-away from Western was all they had to offer on what was to be an off afternoon from the team from Milngavie. With Kelburne having hit the bar and post it was only a matter of time before they scored their 5th goal of the day. Up stepped Simpson again to fire in the bottom right corner leaving the keeper rooted to the spot on the 45th minute. 
The game was to finish 5-1 but if Kelburne had finished off some more of their chances and not come up against a keeper who was on top form it quite easily could have been double figures.
Kelburne now have a weekend off before finishing up the league campaign against Clydesdale on the 11th of April. It's then the play offs where there opponents will be revealed on the conclusion off the league.

Thomsons Cylces Kelburne 2nd XI Men vs Hillhead - Sat 14th March

Thomsons Cycles Kelburne 2nd IX Vs Hillhead 2nd IX

The Kelburne squad arrived at Glasgow Green on a cold Saturday afternoon to face Hillhead and looking to continue their 100% record. Kelburne were unfortunately missing a few players and only had 12 men for the game, whereas Hillhead seemed to have a stronger team than in previous encounters between the two clubs. Nevertheless Kelburne went into the game in strong spirits, spurred on from watching the 1st XI dismantle Inverleith 16-0 earlier that day.

The match started as it usually does for the ?Burne, maintaining the majority of possession but being unable to capitalise in the D. The first such chance came when Rory Macmillan received the ball in the circle but unfortunately missed his target. Another chance came when a strike from Matt McGinley inched past the post and away from the goal. For a long time, Hillhead struggled to get much of the ball, but after a series of failed strikes from McGinley and John Gerard Shepard, Hillhead came at Kelburne with renewed vigour, and the Paisley side were fortunate not to concede a goal under the Hillhead press. After seeing that Hillhead might be able to get back into the game, Kelburne began to struggle with the pressure, and seemed to be more focused on playing long balls to no one and individual dribbling efforts rather than trying to attack as a team. After some more turnovers from both teams, the first half ended in a stalemate.

Halftime ? Kelburne 0 Hillhead 0

Kelburne came out of the break determined to avoid the mistakes of the first half, and were rewarded with another chance when Shepard received the ball in the D in the first minute, but unfortunately missed his target. He made up for this quickly when he played the ball to Macmillan in front of the keeper, who slotted it home and gave the home side the lead. 1-0. Hillhead responded by increasing pressure on the Kelburne defence, but for the most part were unsuccessful in creating serious chances. Meanwhile Kelburne remained composed up front, and won the first short corner of the game, which Macmillan flicked into the net past the keeper. 2-0. Kelburne momentarily let their guard down though, and a scramble in front of the Kelburne goal with keeper Fergus Barrows stranded at top D was lucky to not to result in a goal for the away team. Kelburne responded quickly, and after a Hillhead short corner was stopped by Fraser Hutchison, some nice play between Harry Godfrey and Andrew Bremner allowed Macmillan to complete his hat trick.3-0.

The Kelburne team began to show signs of fatigue and the defenders found themselves under more pressure than before. After numerous short corners cleared by the ?Burne defence, one of which was off the line by Adam McInnes, Hillhead were awarded a controversial penalty stroke, which Kelburne felt was actually a foul in favour of veteran defender Craig Walker. However the decision stood, and Hillhead were able to win a goal back. 3-1. This goal gave Hillhead new energy, and after driving down the Kelburne baseline and playing the ball high to the penalty spot, Godfrey was fortunate to get a touch on the ball which deflected it off the post and off the pitch. At this point the match had degenerated into a running game, with neither side able to decisively break past the other. Closer to the end of the game, Hillhead managed to score another in the second phase of a short corner, but it was too little, too late. Kelburne maintained possession through simple hockey until the final whistle went.

Fulltime ? Kelburne 3 Hillhead 2

Hillhead proved a good match but were still not enough to defeat Kelburne 2nd XI, who?s next game is away to Grange 2nd XI on 21/3/15, which if the ?Burne come away from with points, they will have secured another league title. Hillhead will get another chance against Kelburne in the semi-final of the cup, but Kelburne are confident and determined to finish the season with their 100% record intact.

Harry Godfrey

Men's 2s Comfortably into Cup Semi Final

Dundee Wanderers                 1
Thomson Cycles Kelburne    5 

Kelburne 2XI went into this cup tie on the back of a comfortable 2-0 win the previous day. With many regulars unavailable, the team was down to its bare minimum of just 11 players meaning it would be a tough game physically. The team travelled to Dundee hoping to advance to the semi finals. 

Kelburne started brightly and got their reward in the first ten minutes when Matt McGinely received the ball down the line from a Connor Bain pass, Matt then cooly beat one player before squaring the ball across to JG Shepherd who was standing unmarked to sweep the ball into the back of the net to make it 1-0. 

Kelburne continued to press wanderers forcing them to hit hopefully. Any balls that made it up field were dealt with by Fraser Scott and Harry Godfrey at centre back.However towards the end of the half, Kelburne began to tire and wanderers replied with a well taken short corner into the bottom left hand corner. The rest of the half was very scrappy with few clear cut chances. 

Half Time: Dundee Wanderers 2XI 1-1 Thomson Cycles Kelburne 2XI 

The second half began with Kelburne playing the ball around the back looking for an opening in the Wanderers defence. They found the breakthrough when Fraser Hutchison played a pass to McGinely at the edge of the D, he subsequently then passed to Shepherd on the baseline who returned it to Matt in the D. His first shot was saved but was quick to react and got on the rebound with a cool reverse into the bottom corner to make it 2-1. Kelburne pressed again for another goal to kill the game off and found it when Andrew Bremner notched up his 20th of the season after a great cutback by McGinely on the baseline following good work from Ewan Carmichael to find him. 

At 3-1 down wanderers needed to chase the game and pushed more players forward. However their efforts were well marshalled by Scott and Godfrey and when the did manage to get a shot on target, Fergus Barrows was there to clear the danger in goals. With Wanderers pushing for a goal, More space opened up and a fourth goal was scored by new recruit Rory McMillan. Rory collected the ball after a great line pass from Neil McIntyre, McMillan then cut inside and passed it on to Hutchison, who then got his head up and found McGinely at top D, who deflected it back to Mcmillan who continued his run, he then found Bremner at back post who committed the keeper before giving it back to McMillan for an easy tap in to mark the end of a great team goal. 4-1 Kelburne. 

By this point wanderers heads were down and were beginning to get tired. A fifth and final goal then wrapped the cup tie up for the Paisley side. Ewan Carmichael and Hutchison played neat hockey in the midfield before Carmichael fired the ball in towards backpost where McGinely was waiting at p shot to deflect it past the helpless keeper to make it 5-1 and 2 for him. 

A hard fought but comfortable win in the end for the Paisley Side to advance to the semi final stage of the cup with a league and cup double still very much a possibility. 

Next Saturday, the 2s return to league action against inverleith 2s away in what will be a difficult game hoping to make it 15 wins out of 15. 

Men's 2s Remain on Course

Thomsons Cycles Kelburne            2

Edinburgh University 3rd Xi            0

Thomsons Cycles Kelburne had so far begun their second half of the season with two strong wins versus Rottenrow and Clydesdale, and were eager to remain undefeated with this game starting at the Paisley outfit?s home ground at Glasgow Green.

 From the beginning of the match the rain had unleashed itself upon the players causing a slow start to the game, with both sides gaining equal possession of the ball, due to this there were several chances for both teams, but none led to any successful goal scoring opportunities.

It was not until a surging run from Fraser Hutchinson who expertly moved the ball up the pitch whilst linking up with Andrew Bremner that our first chance was created when Andrew Bremner unleashed a shot towards the back post, where the latest addition of the team Rory Macmillan tapped the ball in to bring the score to 1-0.

As the weather continued to worsen the pace of play began to decrease creating less opportunities for the team which resulted in many turnovers for both sides, which meant the brick wall defence of Kelburne had to keep active whilst occasionally requiring goalkeeper Fergus Barrows to make a clearance to relieve pressure.

Half time 1-0

After the realisation that the game needed to be killed off in order to secure a win kelburne began to up their pace and had several opportunities to increase the score line. With persistence from the forward and midfield lines it took incredible reactions from Ewan Carmichael to pick up the shot that had rocketed off the post from  Andrew Bremner's reverse stick shot and smoothly place the ball in the back of the net.

The game continued to have many opportunities for Kelburne but were sadly unable to place the ball in the net. This was mainly due to the several saves from the students goalkeeper who kept the score line to a respectable 2-0.

With the good performance Kelburne hope to continue their winning momentum into the next game which was the following day in Dundee versus Dundee Wanderers in the cup quarter finals.

Young 5s Come Up Short

Glasgow University 3s                4
Kelburne Pro-Life Fitness 5s      1

Saturday 28 February 
Craigholme Sports Complex, PB 3pm

Gk - Matthew Retson 
Defence ? Ian McIntyre, Bryan Gimour, Thomas and Fraser Whiting 
Midfield ? Lucas Farndale, Johnny Hughes, Connor Sutherland 
Forwards ? Mark Fulton, Rory Anderson, John Millar 
Reserves ? Cameron McIntyre, Matthew Reid, Ciaran Wilcox, Niall Taylor and Craig Speirs 

The game started at a cold and wet Craigholme with the 5s side missing several of their regular players. The 5s were boosted by the return to competitive play of Mark Fulton who added grit and skill to the 5s attack. Both sides took possession during the first half with Mark Fulton threading several passes through the Glasgow Uni defence which, unfortunately, John Millar was just unable to get on the end of. The game flowed from end to end with the youngsters playing well against the students. The break through came in 22 minutes when Glasgow Uni scored with a shot which was fired past Matthew Retson. Shortly afterwards the students got a short corner and Bryan Gilmour was on the line to stop the ball illiegally with his feet. The students scored from the resultant penalty flick although young keeper Matthew managed to get a stick to the ball and was unlucky not to save. Kelburne came back and had 4 short corners in quick succession. The half time whistle went just as they were about to take the 4th short corner and from this a Mark Fulton strike was partially saved by the keeper who lost the ball in his feet and it trundled over the line to give the 5s a much deserved goal. 

HT Glasgow University 3s 2-1 Kelburne Pro-Life Fitness 5s 

Kelburne continued to up their game in the 2nd half with some strong passing & strike attempts. Mark Fulton provided strength to the young team, regardless of his loose shin guards. But in the rain the strength of the students finally proved too much for the young side as they began to tire. 2 further strikes which young keeper Matthew could do nothing about finished the game off and leaves the 5s survival in WDL Division 2 in jeopardy. The youngsters can hold their heads up as they battled to the end and at times played some excellent hockey. This goes to show the work of the development coaches is beginning to bear fruit as over half the team were 15 or younger with several 12 and 13 year olds 

FT Glasgow University 3s 4-1 Kelburne Pro-Life Fitness 5s 

Special thanks go to Iain Scholefield who came along and organised the bench and coached giving the team much needed support and guidance. Also the addition of veteran Mark Fulton was a great help as he showed that, not only is he a good outfield player, but he manages to motivate and guide the team on the park. Next week the 5s play a very good Western Wildcat 4s side which forms the bulk of their under 16 side.