Ladies 1sts Getting Closer

Kelburne Ladies 1st XI

Saturday 10 March


Kelburne travelled to Dundee this weekend to play league leaders Grove. After last weekends disappointing result, Kelburne Ladies were keen to improve on their performance and hopefully get themselves on the score sheet. Kelburne started the game well and created a handful of chances which they failed to convert. The game was played at a good pace and was certainly a step up from last weeks encounter with Giffnock.

Kelburne were consistent throughout and both sides played some well-executed passing moves and competed well with each other. Neither side managed to take the lead before the half time whistle.

In the second half Kelburne maintained their pace in attack and won a few corners, which as in other games this season, they failed to convert.

Eventually Grove broke the deadlock and scored a rebound from a great save by keeper Cath Rae. Kelburne fought back, but still could not score the elusive goal they must?ve felt they deserved. Grove scored again 10 minutes later in a very similar fashion to the first. However, Kelburne continued to play well and created many attacking moves, but still were unable to put the ball in the net. The game ended 2-0 to the league leaders, but it?s safe to say the Kelburne team have taken another step closer.

Sunday sees the team take on Western at Bellahouston who could only manage a draw with Giffnock earlier this weekend.

Sunday 11 March


Yesterday saw the Kelburne girls play Western at Bellahouston for their second game of the weekend. Kelburne had to draw on the skills of Catherine McLaughlin and Fiona McGowan to strengthen their squad as the team were missing Frances McKeown and Julie Bryce from yesterday?s team sheet. Hopefully both will be back to full fitness for next weekend.

The game started well and Kelburne seemed to banish any tiredness from Saturday?s encounter with Grove. However, it was Western to get themselves on the score sheet first with a goal from open play. Kelburne responded brilliantly and came out fighting. Within 5 minutes Kelburne won themselves a short corner and Laura Wrightson brought the scores back on level terms with a well-executed finish at the near post.

With the scores level both Kelburne and Western had their fair share of opportunities to take the lead, but neither could get the ball in the net. With only their second corner conceded of the game, Laura Wrightson went from hero to villain as she said ?something? which the umpire didn?t take kindly to and received her first yellow card of the season. The result of that corner was a rather dubious penalty flick which Western slotted home to take the lead.

The second half saw both teams have many chances and Kelburne defended brilliantly and did not concede any short corners. However, they also didn?t manage to break the Western defence and the game finished 2-1 to Western. Another disappointing result for the Kelburne team, but the gap is closing all the time on the top 3 and things are definitely about change for the girls. Watch this space??