Rain Thwarts Victory Bids

Last weekend unfortunately saw both the 1st XI & the 2nd XI?s chances of recording double wins 3 week in a row thwarted by the rain after both teams had got themselves into good positions to win their respective games.

The 1st racked up an impressive 260 for 9 off their 50 overs with Scott Hamilton scoring a career best 104 and David Harper scoring a majestic 57 before he was unfortunately run out. There was also some good support from Davy Miller & Iain Bennett along the way although the last 5 overs did not yield as many runs as expected with Marc Christensen getting a 1st ball duck and Donald Campbell following with a 2nd ball duck when nearer 300 looked on the cards but all in all it was a great effort in this vital clash.

In reply Kelburne got off to a great start with the bizarre dismissal of Hillhead opener Shanks. He set off for a single and was turned back by his partner and in attempting to return to his crease slipped. After he slipped he then tried to make his ground by putting his bat over the crease however he couldn?t reach and proceeded to try and make the distance by performing the front crawl swimming stroke however there was no water and went nowhere and ended up being run out by the eagle eyed Imran Butt just adrift from the safety of his crease. This was the start of the steady fall of wickets and unfortunately the rain.

From this point Harps started to work his magic during an energetic spell of 13 overs in what were slippery playing conditions. Harps took 4 wickets of which 2 of them pitched and rolled and the other 2 were perfect deliveries nipping back to take the off stump out of the ground on each occasion whilst the Hillhead batsmen were shouldering arms.

The only Hillhead batsman to offer any real resistance was professional Nick Guinane who top scored with 30 before he skied a catch to Donald Campbell at backward point who dropped it only for him having hit his own wicket to be dismissed. Scholsey will tell you that he knew that but do not believe a word of it!!!!

Unfortunately when Hillhead were 95 for 7 from 26 overs the umpires decided that it was too wet to keep playing and as a result about after an hour from when we left the field the game was abandoned with no result.

The 2nd XI in their game had managed to restrict Motherwell to 145 all out from their allocated overs. It was felt by the home team that they only managed to achieve this total through some very dubious umpiring from their own players and would have struggled to reach 100 if the game had been played within the spirit of the game.

Overall it was a good effort from the Kelburne bowlers with the wickets being shared around with John Fergusson, Ross MacLean, Stef Lach & Craig McLardie all bagging 2 wickets apiece.

2nd XI skipper Stuart O?Connell was quoted as saying ?I felt as though all our bowlers bowled very well in difficult conditions and they kept hitting good areas and constantly asking questions of the Motherwell batsmen. John Fergusson was probably the pick of our guys taking 2 for 50 from his 15 overs. All in all we were disappointed in the way the Motherwell players conducted themselves through their umpiring decisions and if they played the game correctly we may have been able to force a result.

After these 2 abandonment?s both teams remain in the same positions in their league tables. This weekend the 1st XI face a top of the table clash with Glasgow Accies at home on Sat then facing Irvine in the quarter final of the SCU Trophy at home on Sunday while the 2nd XI take on Active Life Club (Formerly Paisley) in a vital clash if they are to keep on the track to promotion.