Renfrewshire Council have had consultations regarding playing fields strategy and recognises the need for a low water-based hockey pitch as a priority.
However, the Council have no plans to provide or fund a hockey facility and plan to replace the Linwood pitch and a new astro at Johnstone High, with astro fit for football only.
Once Linwood closes around 2010 for redevelopment, hockey will effectively excluded as a sport in Renfrewshire
This goes against all Council policies providing facilities for all (not just football).
Renfrewshire Council intend to spend £40m on sports facilities in Renfrewshire and will not support or fund one hockey facility which is a disgrace.
There are a series of Consultation meetings regarding the above:
- Renfrew & Gallowhill - Tuesday 22/9/09 - 7:00 - Renfrew Leisure Centre ( Gerry & Harry to attend )
- Paisley North - Thursday 24/9/09 - 7:00 - Paisley Town Hall
- Paisley South - Wednesday 30/9/09 - 7:00 - Gleniffer High School
- Johnstone & Villages - Thursday 1/10/09 - 7:00 -Johnstone Town Hall ( Duncan to attend )
- Houston, Crosslee. Linwood, Erskine - Monday 5/10/09 - 7:00 - Park Mains High School
At present we are working with the SHU to try and find a resolution, but we must be heard at these meetings.
Unfortunately I am on holiday next week and will miss the first two.
If you are available, please attend and voice your opinion on behalf of our sport.