Women's 1s Start Well

GHK (1) vs Kelburne (6)
Venue: Old Anniesland

ThePaisley club began their season with the hope of building on the success of last year. First game nerves seemed to be present when the GHK pass back found them working deep into Kelburne's half. Kelburne soon found their rhythm putting more and more pressure on the GHK defence and after 7 minutes a right right hand side attack worked by Captain Nicola McLaughlin and under 18 Jennifer Hendry was finished by Julie Bryce to open the scoring.

This appeared to settle the visitors who continued to keep the pressure on with several attempts at goal going just wide of target. Persistence soon paid off when a well worked corner took a fantastic deflection from Adele Dasty sending the ball high in the GHK net leaving the keeper stranded.

With the first half drawing to an end Kelburne wanted to make sure that the 3 points were secured in the first half when a again build up play from the right hand side set Bryce up for her second goal of the match.

The 2nd half began as the first finished with possession firmly in Kelburne's grasp. Within the first 2 minutes of the restart Kelburne had won a short corner. The straight strike was played in by Laura Wrightson and the keepers save lifted the ball high, the rebound was taken by Dasty for what appeared to be a glorious 4th goal. However after an appeal by the Glasgow side the umpires deemed the goal to be dangerous and so the score remained 3-0.

Undeterred Kelburne maintained their relentless attack. A baseline run from Bryce found Dasty at the penalty spot who slotted the ball into goal. The 5th goal came in a similar manner again with a baseline run from Bryce which was finished by Wrightson, on this occasion, at the back post. Kelburne's final goal came again from Wrightson, a straight strike form a Kelburne short corner beating the home side's defence.

The Glasgow club barley made it past the half way line in the 2nd half, however Kelburne left themselves slightly open when a GHK attack lead to a lifted ball in the Kelburne circle which was finished mid-air for a consolation goal. An appeal was launched by the Kelburne defence as this was similar to the disallowed Kelburne goal at the start of half, which denied Dasty of a hat-trick. The goal stood and the visitors pressed on for a  7th goal in the dying minutes with attempts from Bryce and youngster Emma Barlow coming painfully close. The matched came to an end with the final score 6:1 to the visiting side.