2's Top the Table

Kelburne 2?s travelled to local rivals Clydesdale knowing a win wouldend the year with them top of the league. Kelburne went into the game missing goalmachine Gordon Menzies and with Michael Bremner and Josh Cairns being recalled to the 1?s indoor squad. The 2?s welcomed back birthday boy Miles Goldie following glowing reports from 3?s captain Alan Ralph.

The game started with Clydesdale pressing high up the pitch trying to enforce themselves as the dominant team. After a few nervy moments Kelburne soon found their passing game that has served them so well through the first half of the season. The first real chance of the game came with a fast break down the left side which saw Jason Cairns fire the ball back post just out the reach of Lee Morton. As the half progressed both teams were competing hard to control the midfield battle with Martin Shaw in his new role at right mid always looking to get the ball and create openings. Just before half time the leagues youngest strike force almost created the opening goal when Ed Greaves slipped the ball past the keeper to Lee Morton who was denied by an excellent tackle by the Clydesdale defender.

Ten minutes into the second half the opening goal came when Colin Bryce wandered past the defence to cut the ball back to Jason Cairns to slam home. As Clydesdale pressed for the equaliser gaps appeared which allowed the ever improving Michael Nicol to fire the ball 50 yards down the line to Miles Goldie who carried the ball into the circle and set up Cairns for his second of the day. With Kelburne seemingly cruising Clydesdale looked for inspiration, this came in the form of the umpire who appeared not to see fouls anymore. This was summed up when Fraser Scott was fouled but the umpire "missed it"  and then awarded a penalty to Clydesdale after a miss-timed challenge from Scott. Clydesdale converted the penalty and now had an extra man as Scott spent ten minutes in the sin bin for the challenge. Ten man Kelburne reshuffled and pressed on and regained their two goal advantage when the ball spilled loose in the circle which allowed the hard working Ewan Carmichael to flick the ball high into the net. As the game got more heated ex Kelburne keeper Stuart Brown also saw yellow for dissent to the umpire, however the man advantage was short lived when Fraser Hutchison was shown yellow for hitting the ball away. With time running out, Clydesdale got another penalty when Cairns stopped the ball on the line with his shoulder. Jon Rooney then produced a world class stick save to leave the home side frustrated. As the final whistle came Kelburne could finally celebrate after a hard fought victory.

Special mention must go to Lee Morton and Ed Greaves who ran their socks off upfront. Kelburne can be delighted with the way the first half of the season has gone, which leaves them top of the table and on course for an eighth consecutive league title.