Mens 2s Do Enough to Win

Edinburgh Uni 2nd XI: 1
Kelburne 2nd XI: 2

Kelburne 2nd XI travelled through to Peffermill looking to build upon last weeks win against Hillhead and maintain their winning momentum. Mark Robertson was in for the suspended John Rooney, Andrew Bremner also stepped up from the 3rd XI.

For a variety of reasons the Paisley side didn't get onto the pitch until 10 minutes before pushback, requiring an abridged warm up. This sloppy warm up unfortunately carried over into the game as Kelburne were unable to find their usual passing rhythm. A series of inaccurate passes and poor basics handed the initiative to Edinburgh Uni. The students started well and soon had the Paisley side struggling to break out of their own half. Although having the vast majority of play Edinburgh Uni were struggling to create chances as the Kelburne defensive unit stood firm. Kelburne then received a further blow as first Stuart Robin (below) and then Fraser Scott were forced off having taken knocks. After weathering the initial storm the Paisley side were able to mount counter attacks. First Ewan Carmichael won the ball in his own D played a number of 1-2s and drew a short corner, which was saved. Similar outbreaks of hockey saw the visitors threaten further but to no avail. Ironically it was from a Kelburne attack that EU scored. The students won possession in their own 25, were able to ride a series of weak and ineffective tackles to mount a counter attack, culminating with an attacker having time and space in the D to fire low past the exposed Robertson. 1-0.

Almost instantly afterwards Kelburne manufactured a chance for an equaliser. The ball was moved quickly from player to player presenting, an unmarked, Ed Greaves with the chance to score at the back post. Unfortunately a heavy touch, by the usually clinical Scotland U16 forward, allowed a combination of 'keeper and defender to clear. Spurred on by this good fortune Edinburgh penned Kelburne back into their 25 for long periods. As the final seconds ticked down Colin Bryce broke away, exchanged passes and won a short corner. Before the set piece could be taken the half time whistle was blown, allowing Kelburne's defenders to join the attack. A number of shots were illegally stopped resulting in further set plays. From their 3rd corner Gordon Menzies goal bound strike was cleared by a defender on the line, Michael Nichol stretched to return the ball across goal and Ewan Carmichael was able to deflect home a scarcely deserved equaliser. 1-1. A disbelieving Uni side walked off unhappy not to be winning.

Despite a change of defensive press the 2nd half followed the same pattern as the 1st with the students roaming forward in search of an equaliser. The game continued as a midfield battle until Scotland U16 forward Lee Morton was cynically stopped from running onto a pass by a defender. A short corner was awarded and Jason Cairns dispatched the ball high to the keepers right to give Kelburne the lead. 1-2.

Kelburne were happy to adsorb pressure and hit on the counter attack. Jason Cairns fired another drag-flick over the bar and Menzies had yet another goal bound shot cleared off the line. Any time Edinburgh Uni did get into a promising position the back four of Michael Nichol, Fraser Scott, Fraser Hutchison, and Andrew Bremner stood firm. When called upon Robertson was equal to any shots.  As the half ended the students thought that they had equalised, but an eagle eyed umpire had spotted an infringement. There was one final moment of panic to endure, when a switch from a short corner threatened to open up the defence, but Fraser Hutchison nipped in to intercept. 

The game finished 2-1 to the current champions, who despite being second best for much of the game will be happy with another 3 points. Next week Kelburne2 host Grange2 at Bellahouston on Saturday at 1pm, before travelling to Edinburgh on the Sunday for a return fixture in the last 16 of the cup.