Mens 2s Dismantle Inverleith

Inverleith 2s: 1

Kelburne 2s: 12

Kelburne travelled to the capital for the penultimate game of the season, knowing that only 4 points were needed from the last 2 games to secure another league title. 

The burne started the game well, under the intense heat of the day. They forced Inverleith to chase the ball through some quick passing. This converted into space and chances, the first was taken by a Carmichael deflection: Kelburne up 1-0. With Kelburne's brilliant movement upfront, by youngsters Jason Cairns, Lee Morton (right) and also Jimmy McCrae, the second goal wasn't far away and was slotted home by McCrae: Kelburne up 2-0. The burne kept the pressure up on Inverleith, who were only able to create a few breaks that were easily dealt with by the Kelburne defence. Kelburne were clinical upfront gaining a penalty corner or a shot at every attack. This paid off when Gordon Menzies fired in a strike after winning a Penalty Corner: Kelburne up 3-0. Inverleith caught Kelburne cold on a fast breakaway which resulted in pulling a goal back: 3-1. Kelburne responded quickly when Cairns skillfully deflected a Menzies free hit past the keeper into the goal: Kelburne up 4-1. Inverleith were unable to impose themselves on the game and they were made to pay for this when when Menzies converted another penalty corner. Nearing the end of the half Kelburne made a last push for a goal which they recieved from Lee Morton, who fired in a rebound from a Menzies short corner.

Half Time: Kelburne 6 - Inverleith 1

The burne began the second half as they played in the first. They forced Inverleith into mistakes and continued their good movement and passing. Under the intense heat this showed as Inverleith began to tire and were unable to keep possession and it allowed Kelburne to control the game. Again their their control was converted into goals when McCrea finished off a well constructed move. This was followed by Bryce finishing off another pull-back from Carmichael. Inverleith tried to enforce themselves on the game by pressing up the pitch. This enabled the burne to utilise the extra space when attacking which allowed the forwards to win more penalty corners or get shots at goal. The next 2 corners were converted in quick succession by two powerful drag flicks into the top right hand corner from Cairns: Kelburne up 10-1. The game then stretched out which allowed Kelburne to create a fast break which resulted in Lee Morton having a one-on-one with the goalkeeper where he took the ball around the keeper and swept the ball into the empty net. Then in the last remaining minutes the burne won a Penalty Corner which was slipped to Bryce who took the ball past two defenders then fired the ball past the goalkeeper to end the game.

Kelburne's win leaves them only needing 1 point in the last game against Stirling University to clinch their 8th successive title.