8 in a Row for Dominant 2s

Stirling Uni: 1
Kelburne: 9

Kelburne went into the final game of the season knowing that only 1 more point would ensure their 8th league title in a row.

With the Stirling Uni team having recently beaten Inverleith convincingly and showing reasonable performances against Western and Grange this was not going to be the regular 'cake walk' that some have come to expect from Kelburne. Add to that a 4.30pm push back time, a pitch that would make the grass at Whitehaugh look like the Nou Camp and a female umpire wearing flip-flops, Kelburne knew that this final game was not going to be an easy affair.

The game started at a reasonable pace but was littered with misplaced passes and poor dribbling by both sides. However each team was creating chances and Kelburne should have taken the lead from both Ewan Carmichael and Ed Greaves, but for 2 fantastic saves from the Uni's keeper. The game then did reach boiling point when a number of unexplainable decisions from the Uni's umpire resulted in her walking off the pitch. Another umpire was found and the game continued.

With only 4 minutes remaining of the first half Jason Cairns picked up the ball inside the Uni 22, dribbled in to the 'D' and unleashed an unstoppable reverse stick strike that gave the Uni keeper no chance. The relief from the packed crowd was clear to see and it only got better for the 'burne with 1 minute left of the first half when Cairns latched onto a Uni mistake to thunder a strike into the roof of the net giving Kelburne a 2-0 half-time lead.

The second half started with a bang for Kelburne when good work from Jimmy McRae gave Colin Bryce room in the 'D' to slot home Kelburnes 3rd. From this point on the title was coming home and was settled in the 14th minute of the second half when Lee Morton's shot was stopped illegally on the line by a Uni defender. The umpire pointed to the spot and the penalty was dispatched by Gordon 'The Beast' Menzies (above).

Soon after Kelburne went 4-0 up, the Uni came back with a cleverly dispatched corner routine that fooled both Mark '2012' Robertson and Fraser Scott. This only made the 'burne more determined and they went 5-1 up with a reverse stick strike from Menzies. Now sitting on 99 goals for the season, the next scorer would have a hefty fine to pay and it was up to Mr Greaves to bail his son Ed Greaves (right) out with some cash after he dispatched the 'burnes 100th goal of the season.
Further goals from Cairns, Menzies and Greaves made the score 9-1. The remaining period of the match allowed Kelburne to show their versatility and moved a number of players around with the advancment of Stuart Robin moving into what some people say is his best position at centre forward. The score would have been more had it not been for the 'Robin nose-bleed' rearing its ugly head.
The final whistle rang out around the Uni arena and allowed for the start of wild celebrations from the 'burne's faithful supporters. Champagne corks went flying, even the odd tear was shown as Kelburne celebrated the 8th title in a row.

Next week Kelburne march their way up to Dundee to face Clydesdale in the Semi-final of the Scottish Cup. Only a win is acceptable as the 2's look to end the season on a high.