Mens 2s Make It a Treble

Kelburne Mens 2s: 2
Gordonians Mens 2s: 0

District Cup Final, 9th May 2010

With an eightth consecutive league title and an indoor title already in the bag, Kelburne's second string went into this cup final with high hopes of a treble. A win would also bring the Paisley club a record 10th victory in this competition. The line-up was the usual mix of experience and exciting up-and-coming youngsters but sadly sharp-shooting forward Jimmy McCrae missed out due to being stranded in Spain by the Icelandic ash cloud. Fortunately, 2nd team legend Martin Shaw was able to step in at the last minute and take McCrae's place in the forward line.

The 'Burne were wary of the threat posed by their Aberdonian opponents as they also carried a lot of skill and experience with a number of well-known names in their teamsheet having considerable top-level experience.

With plenty of supporters for both teams looking on the game started at a frenetic pace under blazing May sunshine. Kelburne immediately put the northerners on the back foot, pressing them into their 'D' but unable to take advantage of the half-chances that came their way. The game continued to be very even with Kelburne edging it on possession but Gordonians having the best chance of the game when they hit the post from a set-piece. Despite a lot of good play by both sides the score stayed at 0-0 going into half-time.

Into the second half and the 'Burne continued to have the bulk of possession but clear-cut chances were rare. With Gordon 'Beast' Menzies pulling the strings and midfield runner Ewan Carmichael covering every blade of grass on the park, the Paisley side's dominance started to rattle the Abderdonians who started picking up green and yellow cards at regular intervals with one 'challenge' on stalwart stopper Robin being a potential red in some eyes. This was one of several decisions throughout the game that left many players and spectators on both sides baffled.

Finally a goal came and it was all about the sparkling forward play of fourteen year old Lee Morton: picking the ball up with his back to goal 25 yards out he spun and proceeded to bamboozle the centre-back before strolling into the 'D' and unleashing an inch-prefect cross for Martin Shaw to deflect in from about an inch out. Kelburne were now able to step up the intensity of their play with full-back's Craig Morton and Fraser Hutchison skilful contributions giving their oppononents plenty to think about.

It was following one of Morton Snr's breaks that the second goal came. A foul was won about 25 yards from goal and some quick thinking from Menzies saw him take the opposing defence by surprise, beat two men and calmly slot in on his reverse stick to make the score 2-0.

The Paisley side then used all their experience to keep possession and contain the Gordonians attacking threat through to the final whistle despite the late sin-binning of youngster Michael Nicol. A couple of routine saves by 2012 Olympic hopeful Mark 'Robbo' Robertson were the limit of the Aberdeen team's threat and a delighted team and support returned to Paisley with another trophy to bring another great season to a close.

Credit must go to the steady stewardship of captain Fraser Scott (above) which gave the team a platform on which to build their success. The other great feature of the season has been the team's traditional Kelburne mix of experience and youth: youngsters Ed Greaves, Jason Cairns, Michael Nicol, Miles Goldie and the Morton brothers have all made contributions that bely their age and can only bode well for next season.