3rd Place for Seniors in France

The Scottish Men's team containing 8 Kelburne players finished 3rd in the Celtic Cup tournament held in France at the weekend. The squad captained by Chris Nelson, also included Willie Marshall, Iain Scholefield, Ross Stott, Gordon McIntyre, Alan Forsyth, Kenny Bain and Josh Cairns who was making his first appearance at this level. The event was particularly special for Scholefield as he was able to gain his 50th cap during the second game against France.


The team who are building towards the Commonwealth Games in October faced off against Ireland in the opening game and went down 3-1 to a good Irish side.


In an even opening Cairns had an opportunity from a set piece but his effort was charged down. Almost immediately the Irish broke down the pitch and were able to take the lead following confusion on the Scottish defence. Just before the interval Ireland went 2 ahead when a switch at a short corner was dispatched past Olympian Ali McGregor in goal.


Scotland were able to grab a lifeline when after fine work from Grange's Cammy Fraser, Kelburne's Kenny Bain was able to fire home a rebound to bring the team back into the contest. Despite the Scots creating some other chances the contest was killed off when the Irish were able to score from another short corner to leave the score 3-1.


In the second game the team came up against the hosts France. The game got off to the worst of starts and they soon found themselves 2-0 down. Having recovered from the shock of the opening salvo, the Scots were able to grab a foot hold in the game when Inverleith's Adam MacKenzie scored from a penalty corner.


France had several chances to seal the game but were kept out by the brilliance of McGregor in the Scottish goal. Inspired by their goalkeeper, Scotland were able to draw level when Josh Cairns fired home his first senior international goal, with a high flick at a set piece. Scotland clinched the game following good work from Chris Nelson, his reverse stick cross was turned home by Bain for his second of the tournament.


In the final encounter the team suffered a disappointing loss to Wales. The Welsh took the lead from a short corner and were able to hold this until half time. Wales were able to add a second following some confusion in the Scots defence. Again the team fought back, and were rewarded when following a break down at a short corner, Willie Marshall was able to trundle the ball over the Welsh goal line.


With the team now pressing for the equaliser, Wales were able to hit on the break and were able to go 3-1 up. The Scots were awarded a penalty but Cairns effort was saved by the Welsh keeper. Kenny Bain was able to grab a second goal, to cap a fine individual tournament, when he intercepted a pass out of the Welsh defence and fired a reverse stick shot into the goal. 


Next up for the players is England in Birmingham for the seniors and the U21 squad head to Ireland for the Celtic Cup, several Burne players are likely to be part of both squads.