Mens' 4th XI in unlucky 2nd half defeat

Kelburne 4XI 2-3 Stepps 3XI

The Gents 4XI returned to Bellahouston for the second week in a row on a real high after a well deserved 8-1 victory over GHK 2XI. With the team playing attractive hockey and debutants making a real impression everyone was eager to build on the previous week?s performance and take away all three points.

The first half saw the 4XI make things particularly difficult for themselves by running with the ball more times than was necessary, after several attacking plays from the Stepps forward line the Kelburne midfield were able to break through some brilliant runs from Willie Allan. This hard work paid off as it wasn?t long before some help from Mark Fulton made sure that Alan Gillies smashed home two shots, putting the Kelburne side 2-0 up.

Obviously shocked from the quick fire double by forward Alan Gillies, Stepps 3XI struggled to regain some confidence and began to attack the Kelburne defence. Finally, a Kelburne attack broke down which left young defender Ross Lee, who played a solid defensive game, with no chance against the two forwards running at him and they fired home their first goal of the match.

Half time stood at 2-1.

The second half suggested that it was not going to be easy for the Kelburne side to take away all three points as Stepps 3XI continued to attack the Kelburne defence. Both teams were awarded short corners throughout the second half but neither could make any of these chances count. As the second half progressed the Kelburne side seen a shocking amount of chances missed while the Stepps forward line took matters into their own hands and took all three points after scoring two considerably late goals.

As the final whistle went the score line stood at 2-3.

A disappointing result for the Kelburne 4XI after going two goals ahead, but there was positives to take from the game as the side showed glimpses of the type of attacking hockey they can play while also defending well for the majority of the game.

by Steven Robbie