Mens' 2s Comeback Victory!

Kelburne 2s: 6
Clydesdale 2s: 2

Saturday 18th of September

Kelburne started their league campaign at home to local rivals Clydesdale. Kelburne got off to the worst possible start after a defensive slip by centre back, C. Morton, gifted the 'dale a 1-0 lead. Kelburne then forced themselves into control of the game was some good quick passages of play. All the hard work paid off after a well worked move down the right hand side resulted in a ball played into the 'D' for young forward L. Morton to deflecting the ball into the goal to level the game 1-1. Kelburne kept up the pressure forcing clydesdale deep into their own half. Kelburne forced a free hit just outside the 'D' by which a well worked move by G. Menzie and J. Christie allowed L. Morton to simply drag the ball across the on-rushing clydesdale 'keeper for an easy push into the goal to put Kelburne in the lead 2-1.

Half time 2:1 to Kelburne.

With Kelburne's defence untested in the first half Clydesdale upped their tempo and tried to press hard higher up on the pitch. This showed as Kelburne had difficulty getting the ball out of defence. As clydesdale kept pressing they were tiring which left gaps for the defence to exploit. This opened the game up and the Kelburne midfield were pulling the string transfering the the ball from side to side looking for holes in the defense. The patience paided off as Kelburne were able to find a foot in the the 'D'. Where G. Menzies fired the ball into the bottom right hand corner from the short corner. At 3:1 clydesdale galvanised to put pressure on the Kelburne back line, including youngester's H. Godfrey and M. Nicol, which stood strong until Kelburne over committed up front and Clydesdale were fast to break. They took advantage and won a short corner. Which they converted by a back post conversion. 3:2. It took a while for Kelburne to get back on track but when they did they had control of the game and where getting success up front. After an error from the clydesdale goalkeeper L. Morton was able to complete his hat-trick. Shortly after J. Christie was sharper than the defenders to react to a loose ball. He was able to make space and slot the ball past the goalkeeper. Clydesdale were dejected and lost control. The game was controlled by Kelburne who pressed for another and it came from another short corner, this time converted by J. Carins. The game was all but finished but there was a green card for G. Menzies for a stick tackle.

Full time 6:2 Kelburne win. There next game is against inverleith at perfermill.

by Craig Morton