2nd XI Guys into Last 16 in District Cup!

District Cup (Last 32)
Sunday 24th October 2010
Jordanhill Hockey Pitch

Hillhead HC II....................... 0
Glynhill Hotel Kelburne II....... 1

A bright day greeted both teams as they arrived at Jordanhill for a Sunday afternoon push-back and the game started just as brightly with Kelburne carrying out some good passing moves and putting Hillhead on the defensive. On 7 minutes Kelburne were awarded a penalty corner and in the ensuing confusion in the ?D? Fraser Hutchinson had the fastest reactions and scored. 1-0 Kelburne. For the remainder of the first half the game went from end to end with the highlights being a superb long ball from Colin Bryce finding Lee Morton just outside the ?D? who evaded the Hillhead defence and fired a shot at goal which the Hillhead goal keeper parried and an open play weighted pass from Craig Morton which powered across the ?D? and hit the back post. Hillhead managed a few breaks but most were contained by the defence marshalled by Fraser Scott. On one of the Hillhead attacks Fraser Scott was adjudged to have lifted his stick above the shoulder and was yellow carded for 5 minutes. Half time arrived with the score 1-0 to Kelburne.

The second half started with Hillhead changing tactics and pressing up the pitch this left them open at the back but Kelburne found it hard to play out of defence and were continually pressed within their own half. On the attacks that did get through Colin Bryce played a fast ball to the back post which Ed Greaves got a stick to and miss controlled it and the ball went past the post. During the defensive duties an enthusiastic Hillhead player was yellow carded for the same offence as Fraser Scott and this was followed late in the game by Kelburne?s goal keeper (Robbo) being green carded for 2 minutes for using foul language (to nobody in Particular). This meant that Fraser Hutchinson took over kicking back duties and did not have to make any saves. With the game dying like the late afternoon sun there was one final Kelburne attack which the Hillhead defence cleared by lifting the ball straight into Lee Morton?s knee, the scramble from the ensuing short corner saw Miles Goldie ?s shot hit the Hillhead goal keeper and the ball was cleared. With time and patience becoming short the final score was Hillhead 0 Kelburne 1. Kelburne now move into the last 16.

Kelburne?s Men?s 2nd XI next game is on Saturday 30th October 2010 at Home against Glasgow University.

Edward Greaves
Men?s 2nd XI (hockey.kelburne.com)