Glasgow Uni no match for 2nd XI!

Kelburne Men?s 2nd XI ? 8 Glasgow Uni 2nd XI ? 0

This week, the Kelburne squad faced a crapulent but physical university team, looking to reflect the remarkable performance of the first eleven against RC de Polo de Barcelona the day before.
The game began with Kelburne dominating, creating numerous chances but unable to capitalise. One such chance, narrowly missed by young Lee Morton, allowed Glasgow Uni to fire the ball through the middle of the park to a forward, who drove into the ?D?, only to be dispossessed by a brilliant challenge from keeper Mark Robertson at the top of the circle. Kelburne quickly regained their composure, and some sharp passing allowed Ed Greaves to open the scoring. 1-0 Kelburne. The Paisley side used the momentum from this goal to pile the pressure on the Glasgow Uni defence, before Greaves deflected a goal bound strike from Colin ?Bomber? Bryce. 2-0. Glasgow Uni managed to win a long corner, however this was calmly dealt with by the young defence, and a great counter-attack allowed Bryce to rifle the ball into the goal. 3-0. After a series of unsuccessful penalty corners from both teams, the ball was passed to Lee Morton, who slotted the ball into goal with a reverse sweep. 4-0. Another two short corners were awarded to Kelburne, with Gordon ?Beast? Menzies? strike deftly turned away by the Glasgow keeper, and Craig Morton?s sweep backpost for Fraser Hutchison unfortunately deflected off the baseline by a Glasgow defender. However, some National League standard passing from Menzies, Bryce and Greaves allowed L. Morton to calmly place the ball in the back of the net.

Halftime ? Kelburne 5, Glasgow Uni 0

The second half began as the first, with great play down the right-hand side. Once again, the home side were unable to take advantage of this. 10 mins into the second half, Harry Godfrey was incapacitated by a hard strike to the foot, and the Glasgow side quickly took advantage of this, and drove into the ?Burne circle, before smashing the ball wide. Kelburne were on top once again, before a bit of football ended in James McCrea being green carded. The university team attempted to take advantage of this one man advantage, however, they failed to get the better of Fraser Scott, who proved to be rock solid in defence and essential in transferring the ball from both sides of the pitch, Miles Goldie and Michael Nicol, who?s pace and fitness was decisive in relieving pressure from the slower members of the team. Soon after McCrea was playing again, and a Glasgow player was sent off for ungentlemanly conduct. Lee Morton was quick to take advantage and completed his hat trick with a low flick into the bottom left of the goal. Some silky play by Bryce, finished with a powerful strike in off the near post brought the score to 7-0. Kelburne also managed to finish to finish on a high, with Gordon Menzies scoring a screamer from the top of the circle, bringing his total this season to 7.

Full Time ? Kelburne 8, Glasgow Uni 0

Kelburne?s next game is away in Edinburgh against Watsonians on Saturday 6th of November.

Harry Godfrey
Men?s 2nd XI (