Kelburne vs. Kelburne! 3rd XI Perspective!

Kelburne 3  7-1  Kelburne 4

The first Kelburne derby of the season took place with both teams dragging themselves out of bed for an early start on a fresh Saturday morning at Stade Belladrome.

The 3s were expecting a tough game due to the physical nature of the 4s team but were determined to play their own style of hockey which had served them well all season.

The 3s started with their usual 4-3-3 formation with "legends" Tervit and Anderson forming two-thirds of a potent strikeforce along with Captain and self proclaimed "master of disaster" McNulty, whilst anchoring the midfield in his Jan Molby style of play was influential playmaker Walker.

The 3s enjoyed plenty of possession at the beginning of the game and with the 4s packing the middle of the park, Ralph "the enforcer" and defensive partner "slim" Bremner were able to pick passes at will in the inside channels to start attack upon attack.

A howler from the 4s keeper let the 3s in for the 1st goal of the game, a mis-timed kick going straight to Anderson where he gently lifted the ball over the floundering keeper.
The 2nd followed soon after when Walker waltzed past the defence before unleashing a ferrocious backstick shot that crashed off the upright with the keeper rooted to the spot in his best Alan Rough vs Brazil impression. Cairns cooly slotted home the rebound. 2-0.
Number 3 came in the form of drag-flick specialist Cairns who got enough zip on his flick into the roof of the net from a short corner. 3-0
The other half of the "legends" got his name on the score sheet when Tervit scored with a calmly taken goal. 4-0.
A lack of communication led to a defensive mix-up between the Enforcer and Slim, resulting in poacher Alfie to pick up the loose ball and fire through GK Rooney's legs from an acute angle. 4-1.
Kelburne 3s went in at half-time not entirely satisfied with their overall performance after some poor technique and pass choices led to turn-overs but happy with the scoreline, as part of the half was played with 10men due to Cairns spending some of it on the sidelines after some naughty language.

The 2nd half was a scrappy affair with both teams losing shape and the 3s trying to play hockey at a hundred mph. Walker taking it upon himself to get hold of much more possession and bring a calming influence to the team started to dictate the tempo of the game and number 5 was scored shortly after. Master McInnes danced through some weak challenges into the D and slid the ball into the empty net, whilst the 4s defence was somewhat bemused by the lack of refereeing decisions in the build-up.
The 3s won a short corner soon after and Walker ruthlessly slotted into the bottom corner. 6-1.
The goal of the game was saved until the last as Master McInnes picked up a loose ball on the edge of the oppositions D and smashed the ball into the top corner. Such a strike that led to his father and former "Burne" player Duncan wishing he could have scored such a goal in his career. 7-1
The drama was not finished as a 4s attack resulted in Bremner adjudged to have kicked the ball as it was bearing down on goal. A penalty flick was awarded and to save embarassment to the taker no more mention of his effort will be made in this report.
Cairns again spent some time chatting to the spectators after he recieved a harsh yellow card for a challenge that was no worse than others from both teams in the game.
Kelburne missed an array of chances with notable ones coming from Tervit, who after watching EHL on tv attempted an audacious reverse stick strike that went horribly wide.

Kelburne 3s travel to Monklands next week where they will have to up their performance to get a result.

by Walker