Mens 2nd XI Victory after 7-Man Start!

Saturday 6th November 2010
Watsonians 2s v Kelburne 2s
Venue: Currie High School, Currie

As this being the 2s fifth trip to the Capital this season all preparations were in place for another away victory for the ever improving Kelburne 2s. A late morning meet time was met with many a happy face. One exception to this was Craig Morton who had to be picked up from Peffermill before the game which did not cause any problems at this time. The team set off in some dire weather hoping for it to improve as they travel to the east coast.
The team gathered at Currie High School minus the "Cilo Five" who were on the there travels to pick up Craig. As this being a match report and not a fines appeal we will not go into details of why this game started with 7 outfield players. Senior players Colin "bomber" Bryce and Gordon "beast" Menzies stepped up to the mark and set the team up for the first 11 minutes with only 7 players.
Watsonians did there upmost to pressure the weakened Kelburne team but to no avail. As the "Cilo Five" arrived Captain Fraser Scott got the team organized and usual dominance of the game prevailed. The weather did its best to damp the Kelburne team with heavy rain and low temperatures.
The first goal came from pressure within the D from the welcomed return of Jason Cairns this resulting in the award of a penalty flick. Gordon ?Beast"  Menzies easily converted the flick into the bottom left corner as per usual. The remainder of the first half was a mixed affair of poor hockey and some high quality passing from Kelburne.

Half time : Watsonians 0 ? Kelburne 1

During the half time chat strong words were exchanged with comment being made that the core of the team have to step up and take control of this game!

Into the second half Kelburne dominated with chance after chance going astray. This pressure then resulted in Gordon ?Beast"  Menzies blasting home a penalty corner and Lee Morton, Ed Greaves and Jason Cairns all getting on the score sheet with goals of great quality and great build up play. The goal of the game was saved for Fraser Hutchison a great solo run from the defender ended with him in the D and calmly sliding the ball past the helpless keeper. Many team mates were shock at the quality of the run and finish. At 6-0 Watsonians never gave up catching Kelburne on the break several times however Mark ?Robbo for GB 2012"  Robertson was always on his toes and easily dealt with any possible danger.

The game finished 6-0 to Kelburne 2s and a very cold and wet team were happy with there performance and left to reflect on the possible punishment for the ?Cilo Five".

M. Robertson