Men's 1's make it 5 in a row

Men's 1: 8
Edinburgh Uni: 1

The men's 1st team continued their quest for a 7th successive league title today when they welcomed Edinburgh University to Bellahouston. They were boosted by the return of Gareth Hall and Mark Ralph to the squad, while their was also a first call up for rising star Lee Morton who has been in fine scoring form for the 2's.

Burne started the game well, however the students well organised by coach Graham Moodie were proving tough to break down. Burne were rewarded for their persistence midway through the half when top scorer Johnny Christie followed up some good work from Morton to open his account for the day. Burne soon doubled their lead when a short corner strike from Willie Marshall was blocked and it was that man Christie who was on hand to fire home the rebound. Further chances fell to Christie and Alan Forsyth but they were unable to take them. Burne were able to add a third before half time when confusion in the Uni defence allowed the returning Hall to nip in and make it 3-0 at half time. 

Coach Derek Forsyth made some tactical and personnel changes for the second half and this seemed to inspire the team as they were finding possession of the ball much easier to come by. The fourth goal duly arrived when fine work by Horsfield and Johnny Christie allowed the ever alert Michael Christie to keep his fine goalscoring form going. Burne were now in full control of the game and were awarded a short corner following good skills by Morton. Veteran set piece expert Mark Ralph was able to dispatch a low dragflick which seemed to deceive the Uni Goalkeeper. Iain Scholefield was almost able to get his name on the scoresheet but he was unable to get a stick on a Mark Ralph pass from a set piece.

Ralph was able to double his tally with Kelburne's 6th goal with another low drag flick this time to the keepers left hand side. Some slack play in the Burne defence allowed Uni to pull a goal back when a cross from the right was deflected past the otherwise redundant Fulton in the Kelburne goal. Burne were soon back on the attack and they were unluky not to add to their tally on several occasions. Alan Forsyth was able to add a seventh goal when he followed up a rebound at a short corner to fire the ball home. The scoring was completed as Gareth Hall added his second of the game at the death again finishing off a fine passing move at the back post.
Positives from the game were the number of the goals scored and the performance of Lee Morton on debut. Burne are in action again tomorrow as they face Falkirk as they begin the defence of the Scottish Cup pushing back as 12 o clock at Bellahouston.