Halfway Point for Mens 2s

Kelburne 2  4 -1 Edinburgh University 2
20th November, 2010
A much-changedKelburne lined up for their final game before the winter shutdown against Edinburgh Uni at Bellahouston. Three regular starters were missing; Jason Cairns through injury, Gordon Menzies due to travel plans, and hotshot forward Lee Morton had been promoted into the 1s. They were replaced by club and former Scottish U21 legend Craig Walker, 3rd XI fine master Andrew Bremner and Jack McAllister to make his home debut for the 2s.

As the game unfolded it became evident that the Edinburgh side were content to try and stifle Kelburne and hit on the break, a challenge the formerly free-scoring Kelburne were only too eager to accept. 

Pre-match words of wisdom from Walker had preached patience on the ball and lots of work off it, this was proving successful with the Uni pinned deep into their 25 with only a series of last-ditch tackles, good saves and fluffed chances preventing ?burne from opening. Midway through the first half Edinburgh Uni scored, very much against the run of play, with a classic counter attack. Having enticed the over-eager Kelburne backline well up the pitch, their obstinate defence forced a turnover and attacked. Fraser Scott and Olympic hopeful Mark ?2012"  Robertson were overwhelmed by the speed and volume of attackers and were powerless to prevent EU going ahead. 1-0.
This, surprisingly, didn?t deter Kelburne and they were level within 5 mins. Michael Nichol won the ball at left back, transferred it through Scott to Bremner (left) at right back. Bremner fired a 70-yard pass for Colin Bryce to pick up. Bryce then made his way inside and past his man before attempting a pass across goal, this was deflected high into the air only for the waiting McAllister to brilliantly slam home his first goal for the 2s.
The Edinburgh side were struggling to cope with Kelburne?s quick passing, movement and retention of the ball and gaps were starting to appear. 10 mins after the equaliser Kelburne were in front from a similar move, Bremner found Bryce who evaded the increasingly desperate tackle. Having been allowed time to look up, he passed to Fraser Hutchison whose goal-bound shot was illegally stopped on the line. Hutchison wasn?t to be denied his 3rd goal in 4 games, the resulting penalty flick going in and bouncing back off the stanchion before the ?keeper had moved. Slightly after this a difference of opinion between Bryce and the umpire over what constitutes a tackle and what constitutes an assault saw the Paisley man lucky not to see a card. Half time 2-1.

The second half was less than a minute old when Kelburne scored their 3rd. McAllister, now fully understanding the press was able to pressurise the defender into giving a loose ball to a colleague, Bryce was able to force a panicked thrash away. Ewan Carmichael (left) picked the loose ball out the air and passed to an unmarked James McCrae who fired high past the startled keeper. 3-1.

Kelburne continued to press and created numerous opportunities before a fourth was scored. Ed Greaves and McAllister combined to steal the ball, although an unlucky Greaves couldn?t score, the resultant penalty corner allowed Bryce to fire Kelburne?s 4th goal. After this Kelburne were happy to retain the ball and see out the end of the game.  Overall Kelburne 2s can be happy with the first half of an outdoor season which was completed undefeated. The team now turns its attention indoor, where having been promoted last year will hope for a similarly successful season.