1's Victorious in Battle of Auchenhowie

Men's 1: 2

Western: 1

Kelburne travelled to Auchenhowie determined to secure full points from the first local derby of the season. Burne welcomed Euan Carmichael into the squad and there was a late call up for veteran forward Don Tervit to add some firepower to the front line.


These games are always keenly contested and this one was to prove no different, with neither team giving the other an inch. Western started the game strongly and had several chances in the first few minutes, luckily Mark Fulton was alert in the Kelburne goal to keep the scores level. Kelburne began to find there feet in the game and were winning the midfield battle, but were lacking penetration in the final third of the pitch.


Western had further chances to take the lead but Fulton was able to deny Scott McCartney once from a set piece and the second on a one on one opportunity. This allowed the game to remain goalless at half time.


Burne started the second half much the stronger side and were rewarded for their fine start when a run into the D by Ross McIntyre was illegally halted by Kris Kane in the Western goal. The normally reliable Mark Ralph stepped up to take the penalty but Kane was able to atone for his error with a spectacular stick save. With the game still in the balance tempers became frayed as an off the ball incident involving Michael Bremner and a Western forward left Bremner with a facial injury.


This incident seemed to inspire Kelburne and Bremner in particular as he was able to open the scoring from the next attack. Burne were awarded a short corner and although the push out was off target, Bremner?s quick thinking allowed him to readjust and fire a rocket shot into the far corner of the goal.


Burne were very much the dominant side and went chasing the second goal which would kill off the game. This duly arrived when fine play up the left involving Iain Scholefield and Lee Morton found Michael Christie in the D. Christie using all his skill eluded a defender before slipping the ball past the advancing Kane.


Burne began to run the clock down and although Dougie Simpson was able to grab a consolation goal for Western, the victory was secure. A fantastic result for the team, given the injury situation at the moment, which keeps them in course for a seventh consecutive title. The team have another double header next week as they face Clydesdale on Saturday at Titwood starting at 14.30, followed by a home game on Sunday against Hillhead with a 15.00 start at Bellahouston.