1st XI Ladies Start Second Half Of The Season With A Bang!

Saturday 19th February 2011
Kelburne 3 (L.Wrightson, L.Wrightson, A.Maxwell)
Western Wildcats 1
Venue- Auchinhowie

For the ladies 1st XI it was their first game of the second half of the season. The girls have put themselves in a strong position in the league and wanted to start the season off with a win! That is exactly what they did!
After a very good (all be it long) warm up, the girls where fired up for the game. This showed from the first whistle, when a good interception from the Wildcats centre pass meant Kelburne took possession of the ball within 10 seconds, this was the theme for the next 10 mins when Kelburne showed a great determination to attack. Claire McFarlane found herself in the D and won Kelburne their 1st Penalty Corner of the game. The PC was well executed by all involved and resulted in a great straight strike by Laura Wrightson which went under the keeper?s body and into the goal! 1-0 Kelburne!
Kelburne continued to apply the pressure and didn?t give Wildcats a second on the ball. A great ball through to the forwards resulted in another PC, which once again was converted by Laura Wrightson by a well struck straight strike. 2-0 Kelburne!
The game then went Wildcats way for a while and Kelburne had to work hard to regain composure, a few rash challenges going in from both sides caused frustration for both teams. A counter attack down the right hand side which caught Kelburne off guard meant a long pass through to a girl at the edge of the 25 managed to get through and she drove into the D and slotted the ball by Cath Rae. 2-1 Kelburne. Kelburne were on the back foot! Wildcats finished the half by hitting the post in a Penalty Corner. Kelburne go into the break with a sigh of relieve!
Wildcats started the second half with a renewed confidence and immediately put Kelburne under pressure! Kelburne failed to take control of the game resulting in Wildcats winning a number of Penalty Corners. However due to some vital saves from keeper Cath Rae the score remained 2-1.
It was a battle between the two teams and the game could have gone either way. Eventually Kelburne managed to finish off the game through a very skilful move involving midfield players and forward rotation. The ball ended up with forward Amanda Maxwell who showed great composure and fired the ball into the back of the net. The score now 3-1 to Kelburne!
The final whistle went! Yes! A great win for Kelburne and a great start to the second half of the season! Keep it up girls!

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            by Laura