3rd XI in spectacular victory over GHK!

Saturday 5th March

Kelburne 3XI    vs    GHK 2XI
               8       -       0

Kelburne arrived at Bellahouston with the intent of winning some points, and pressuring league top spots.

Kelburne started the match with instantaneous pressure, denying GHK any room for a counter attack. It did not take Kelburne long to get their first big break in the game, a short corner which was converted by Andy Bremner. Kelburne continued to push the GHK defence, and soon managed to score a second magnificent goal from a series of passes round the keeper, which was finally put over the line by Chris McNulty. GHK occasionally managed to break past the Kelburne midfield, but all attempts on goal were dealt with clinically by the defence. Kelburne continued their form, and managed to score a third goal through Billy Anderson. Kelburne continued their assault, which led to Kelburne being awarded a short corner and a fourth goal from Matt McGinley. Both teams also received a short break in the middle of the half when one of the umpires decided to stop time and send two Kelburne players to fetch shin-pads from cars.

At half time the score stood at 4 - 0. The only disappointment for Kelburne in the first half was team captain Andy Bremner receiving a green card because the of the team talking back to the umpires too much.

After their strong first half performance Kelburne were ready to wear down the lagging GHK team. They began strongly. GHK weren't being allowed an inch of space as Kelburne continued to punish their every mistake. It didn't take Mark Connor long to slot a fifth goal past the goalkeeper. The subsequent push-back from GHK was a moment of great entertainment for Kelburne and their supporters. The ball was played back from the centre to a GHK player who stopped the ball, and began walking towards the umpire (away from the ball) demanding a whistle. Kelburne's Billy Anderson seized the opportunity, and promptly ran forwards, collected the ball, ran onto goal and flicked it into the net, while a confused GHK stood around looking bewildered. Kelburne remained strong to the end, and secured further goals from Chris McNulty  and Andy Bremner.

At full-time the score stood at 8 - 0. This was a great result for Kelburne, and helps them to take on Anchor and Monklands for the top places in the league.

by Jonny