2nd XI Bounce Back!

Saturday 19/3/11

Kelburne 2XI (4) - Hillhead 2XI (1)

Kelburne travelled to Jordanhill, toplay a Hillhead side who always gave Kelburne a really tough game. This was the Burne's first chance to bounce back after the disappointing defeat to Inverleith, due to the Grange game cancelled last weekend.
Added to this Kelburne had to travel minus the experienced duo of Gordon 'beast' Menzie and Craig Walker. The game started off with Kelburne setting up to pounce on any hillhead errors. After a couple of errors in the Hillhead backline, the Burne exerted more pressure on the defences. Almost instantaneously the breakthrough came after Ewan Carmichael intercepted a loose pass and passed to Colin 'Bomber' Bryce free in the D, who calmed fired the ball low past the keeper. 1-0 Kelburne.
Kelburne continued to control the game moving the ball around the pitch. Halfway through the half, Kelburne lost their way and allowed Hillhead to dictate the pace of the game and were able to play composed hockey. They got their reward when harry Godfrey released the ball under pressure to Fraser 'Horse' Hutchinson who play a ball straight to Bryce who played a great first time pass to Jason Cairns who slotted home from close range. 2-0 Kelburne.

Hillhead then stepped up their press to put the Kelburne defence onto the back foot, but Kelburne were more controled than the first half and passed the ball out of trouble creating oppertunities but the final pass eluded them. Hillhead were awarded a penalty corner after a lucky break when a mistake from the burne back line gifted them the penalty corner. The resulting drag flick took a huge deflection off the runners hand taking the ball past 'Robbo' in goal. Score 2-1 Kelburne.
The Burne rallied in response to the goal and were rewarded almost instantaneously when Hillhead where exposed at the back and Bryce was able to just reach the pass and deflect the ball into Cairns' path, with them both combining again, who rolled the ball into the goal. 3-1 Kelburne.
This forced Hillhead to push even further forward which gave Kelburne numerous breaks forward with great runs from the midfield four of Morton, Bryce, Carmichael and Hutchinson.
Kelburne then took their chance when byrce had a couple of shots saved and he was able to slot home the second rebound. From then on the game was over.

Final score, Kelburne 4 - 1 Hillhead.

by Lee