Men's 1's Cup Final Bound

Men's 1:12
Cala: 1

Kelburne faced Second Division leaders Cala Edinburgh in the Scottish Cup semi final at Peffermill on Sunday. Much had been made of the David v Goliath nature of this tie with Cala having knocked out a number of Division 1 sides, including Grange on route to this stage.

Coach Mark Ralph was keen to ensure that Kelburne would not take the game lightly and he was rewarded when Johnny Christie opened the scoring within the opening minute. A run along the baseline by Gareth Hall reached Christie and he made no mistake from close range. Cala were struggling to get a foothold in the game at this point and soon found themselves 2 down when another perfect pass from Hall found Christie unmarked in the D and he lashed the ball past the despairing Cala goalkeeper.

Kelburne continued to move the ball well but received a set back when Cala were awarded a penalty when Michael Bremner committed a foul in the D. Despite Mark Fulton?s best efforts Scott Sutherland was able to pull Cala back into the game. Cala seemed to sense their chance and Fulton had t be at his best to keep out a couple of attacks. Kelburne restored their 2 goal advantage just before half time when Michael Christie got his name on the score sheet.

Kelburne stepped up the pace in the second half and proceeded to blow Cala away with a fine display of power hockey. They added a further 9 goals as they constantly penetrated the Cala back line. Michael Christie added 2 goals to complete his hat trick, Willie Marshall, Gordon McIntyre and Gareth Hall netted from short corners with Ross McIntyre adding a fine individual goal. The scoring was completed by Steve Crossett and Don Tervit was able to add 2 goals.

A strong performance from the boys which puts them against local rivals Western in 2 weeks time. This weekend they face another double header as they entertain Dundee Wanderers on Saturday and visit Menzieshill on Sunday looking for 2 victories which would all but clinch the title.