Unlucky Ladies 3s pipped at the post!

Saturday 17th September
GHK Ladies 2s:          1
Kelburne Ladies 3s:  0
This week, Kelburne travelled to Clydebank to face the GHK 2nd XI with three adults, no captain and no goalkeeper ? Vicki Black drew the short straw for the second successive game and donned the pads. The Kelburne line-up also featured four debutantes: Claire Dickson, Katie Bogan, Taylor Bain and Lisa McAlpine.
Kelburne started brightly, and were determined to take the game to GHK. The game was evenly contested for the first 20 minutes, with some nice play in the midfield from Hayley Skimming, Claire Dickson and Lisa McAlpine feeding passes through to Bethany Allan, Ellise Berry and Taylor Bain up front. Unfortunately Kelburne weren?t able to create many scoring chances, and the more experienced GHK team began to take control of the game. The Kelburne defence, however, held firm. Ellie Halliday, Briony Coyle, Katie Bogan and Lynn Houston were all outstanding and prevented GHK from turning their pressure into goal-scoring chances. The half-time score was 0:0.
The second half began with GHK continuing to pile the pressure on, and the young Kelburne team found it increasingly difficult to play the ball out of their own half. The Kelburne defence stayed strong, and incredibly GHK were unable to get many shots on target, despite winning several short corners. Vicki Black was called upon to make 3 fantastic saves, and Kelburne were on course for a well-earned point. The GHK team were becoming increasingly frustrated, and resorted to more and more physical challenges; two of their players received warnings from the umpire, and were very lucky to escape green cards. With only two minutes left, GHK won a final short corner and broke the deadlock, denying Vicki Black a thoroughly deserved clean sheet. With only seconds left on the clock after the restart, a determined Briony Coyle initiated a final attacking move, linking well with Hayley Skimming to feed the ball to Ellise Berry in the GHK D, but unfortunately time ran out for Kelburne, and the score line remained 1:0 to GHK.
Kelburne suffered two heavy defeats to this GHK side last year, and considering the circumstances of this game (no captain, no goalkeeper and a host of new faces), this was an unbelievable performance. Hopefully Kelburne will have better luck in their next outing, when they take on Hillhead on 1st October.