Plucky Ladies 2s overpowered by Blue Sox

Saturday 17th September 2011
Kelburne Ladies 2s:   0
Western Blue Socks: 4

Kelburne 2s first game of the season saw some new and old faces join the team, with Lucy Wallace and Jenny Scott making their debut and seeing a welcome return for both Fiona McGowan and Kirsty Hair.
Kelburne knew they were going to be the under dogs going into this game but were determined to be a strong unit and play their game of hockey.
As suspected Western were very strong on the attack and from the first whistle Kelburne?s defence were put under immense pressure. Not to let this influence their strategy the Kelburne defence soaked up every attack that was thrown at them, with Laurie Kirkland (GK) showing great reactions and agility and keeping the ball out of the net. Inevitably Western managed to win themselves numerous short corners but their routines were no match for the Kelburne girls on the line (Jen Morgan, Kirsty Hair, Emma Ryan and Abi Reilly) who cleared the ball free of the goal on every occasion. Unfortunately due to a foot on the line Western were awarded a penalty flick, with one of their more experienced players stepping up to the mark. Unlucky for her Laurie was able to anticipate the shot and saved it with minimum effort!!
As the half time whistle went Kelburne were very happy to have a 0 ? 0 score line. After a brief and inspiring team talk from the captain Jen Morgan the girls were fired up and ready to take the game up a level. In the first 10 mins of the second half the Kelburne youngsters started to put pressure on the Western defence with some lovely play by Lucy Wallace down the right hand side, dribbling into the ?D? and cutting the ball back to Jenny Scott who?s shot on goal was picked up by a defender. Not to be out done there was some great play down the left hand side with a powerful hit down the line by Susan Deanie to Ciara Brennan whose attempts to dribble into the ?D? for a shot were thwarted again by the Western defence.
Western came back even harder spurred on by the Kelburne attempts at goal, finding an opening in the defence and slipping the ball into the net. Kelburne heads went down and tired legs stopped working allowing Western to punish and continue to score 3 more goals in the space of 10 mins. Again due to a stray foot on the line another PF was given but again the striker was no match for Laurie?s superior goal keeping.
So after what seemed like 100 penalty corners, 2 PFs and a lot of very very hard work the final score was 0 ? 4 to Western.

Next game against Hillhead on the 1st Oct at home.
Also training continues on Wednesday nights (7:30 till 9:00) at Bellahouston, all new players welcome.

Match Report by Jen Morgan