Campbell hat trick seals victory

Kelburne 5th XI 4 - 0 Anchor 2nd XI

Kelburne's young 5th XI turned up with a full development squad to take on local rivals Anchor 2nd string at a wet Park Mains.

Kelburne's squad included 4, 12 year olds & 3 other teenagers making their senior team debut.

The game started with Keburne pressing Anchor high up the park and from an Anchor error, young Sandy Sneddon pounced and drove into the "D" and was unlucky to see his shot saved.

Next up was Ian Kerr making his Burne debut and his solo run and effort brought a good save from the Anchor keeper.

It came as no surprise when Kelburne took the lead from their first penalty corner, Duncan McInnes initial shot was well saved by the Anchor keeper and from the resultant rebound skipper Willie Allan smashed the ball home. From the restart Kelburne earned another penalty corner after great work by 12 yeard old Jack Jamieson and this time McInnes switched the ball to Willie Allan and his attempt rattled the post.

Kelburne continued rotating their squad and teenager Grant Toghill & Ian McIntyre both joined proceedings . Grant made an impression right away linking with Martin Byrne on the left hand side and winning another short corner which was dispatched with style by Donald Campbell.

Anhor came back into the game at this point and the Kelburne rearguard marshalled by Ewan Crawford & Ronnie McGuire  dealt with everything thrown at them.

There was still time for Kelburne to add a 3rd when Donald Campbell scored his 2nd from another short corner.

Half Time Score 3 - 0

Second half saw Kelburne camped in the Anchor half, young Lucas Farndale joined proceedings and made an initial impact when his run into the "D" saw his shot cum cross evade everyone

James Wood and Ed Mcguire on the right hand side were linking well and most of Kelburnes attacks were coming from this source. Kelburne were now pressing Anchor who were unable to get the ball out of their half as Kelburne strangled the game.

McInnes earned Kelburne another short corner and although Anchor defended the first shot, they were unable to deal with the second phase and James Woods found Donald Campbell in the "D" and he completed his hat trick and Kelburnes 4th.

Jack Jamieson and Lucas Farndale continued to cause Anchor problems in the circle and they linked well only to see Jack bundled over by the Anchor keeper and the ball was squeezed wide.

Anchor in one of their rare attacks tried to take advantage on kelburne's LH side but youngster James McPherson stood strong with some excellent tackling.

Anchor had their only chance to score in the 2nd half when on the final whistle they had a penalty corner, but David Ogilvie who had been a spectator most of the afternoon dealt comfortably with the effort.

This was a fantastic performance from a very young and inexperienced squad, with all the youngsters gettign valuable pitch time. Skipper Willie Allan was full of praise for the squad and singled out James Woods & Martin Byrne for special praise after their contribution.

Next week sees Kelburne travel to Greenock to play county rivals and table toppers .