Unlucky Draw for Gents 2nd XI

The 2nd XI went into this crunch match off the back of a perfect record so far this season. Unbeaten and having not dropped a point, the 2nd's have shown glimpses of complete hockey and it was essential that this was to continue into a this match against what may be the biggest test of the season.

However, the day did not start to well when Keeper Fergus Barrows made the fatal error of meeting at the wrong pitch. A delay of 15 minutes was sought by the management and granted however with the time ticking down, the decision was made to start the game with 11 outfield players until the Barrows arrived.

The game started with Kelburne holding Grange at arms length by playing a half court defence. With every player showing composure on the ball and giving Grange no chance of entering the Kelburne 'D', it was a tough decision to make to allow Barrows onto the pitch when he eventually arrived. However the change was made and Kelburne were into their stride.

The match began as a stuffy affair with Grange playing their typical breaking down style of hockey and restricting Kelburne to few chances.
With few chances coming either teams way it was down to the brilliance of Ed Greaves to carve out Kelburnes first opportunity however, the Umpires failed to notice a run of Grange indiscretions and without this support Kelburne left the Grange 'D' without anything.
Shortly after the Grange midfield broke forward past Hutchison and Menzies only for the Umpire to again miss a Grange back stick. Continuing into the Kelburne 'D' the Grange forward then slotted the ball past keeper Barrows for a 1-0 Grange lead. The Kelburne team erupted at the umpire however he waved away these protests.

Again the 'burne broke forward and with neat play down the right by Michael Nicol and Ed Greaves. Greaves found himself nicking the ball past the Grange keeper and looked like all he needed to do was to nudge the ball over the line until 2 grange sticks clattered through Greaves leaving him a mere wreck on the ground. Amazingly no penalty was awarded and the half time whistle blew with the blood boiling for many of the Kelburne players.

Kelburne started the second half at a high tempo and penned Grange into their half only allowing them the odd break away. With Kelburne gaining a number of corners and the keeper making a few saves it was looking like it may not be the Burnes day. However after 5 failed corner attempts, the ball was slipped right to Carmichael who calmly squared the ball to Menzies on the penalty spot who turned onto his reverse stick and slotted the ball past the floundering Grange keeper. The cheers from the crowd and more so from Carmichael could have been heard all the way to Leith docks.

There only looked like one winner now, however Kelburne failed to convert another attempt and the game ended 1-1.

The 2nd's now look forward to a trip to Aberdeen for the Cup with a reduced squad

Match report written by Gordon Menzies