Ladies 3s narrowly lose out in Close Encounter with the "Ferg" Kind...

Saturday 19th November 2011 
Ferguslie Ladies    : 1
Kelburne Ladies 3s: 0 

A young Kelburne team faced their local rivals at Park Mainswith several of the Kelburne regulars missing today.  The girls were pleased to see (and hear) Nicola "Cookie" Brown providing encouragement from between the posts.  The game started fairly evenly with the Kelburne girls pushing forward into Ferguslie's half but also defending well with an impressive "save" early on from Briony Coyle at the back. A period of pressure from the Kelburne girls saw some nice play down the right with Ellie Halliday linking with Bethany Allan who pushed the ball onto Taylor Bain to push the Ferguslie team back into their own half.  The Kelburne girls were rewarded with 2 short corners but were unable to break the deadlock.
The Ferguslie team then tried to stamp their control on the match putting the Kelburne girls under pressure, but with some strong defending  Ellie Halliday commanded the defensive team and the girls managed to frustrate the experienced Ferguslie ladies.   Kelburne managed to push forward in bursts putting the Ferguslie defence on the back foot.  Ellie initiated an attacking move down the right passing to Bethany who found Jen Owen in the D who managed to win a short corner for the Kelburne team.  Unfortunately Rachael Ewing's shot on goal was saved by the Ferguslie keeper. The closing stages of the first half saw Kelburne dominate as they pressed forward having 2 shots on goal and winning a short corner in close succession.   In another attacking move just before half-time young Taylor Bain held firm against pressure from a Ferguslie defender to have a shot on goal. Despite their domination the Kelburne girls were unable to find the back of the net.

Half-time score: Ferguslie 0 - Kelburne 3's 0

The Kelburne girls made a confident start to the second half but before long the Ferguslie team took control and some confusion in the Kelburne defence led to a short corner for the Ferguslie ladies, this attempt was shot wide but shortly after the Ferguslie team punished the Kelburne's lapse in concentration to trickle the ball into the goal.  Ferguslie continued to pile on the pressure and the Kelburne girls had to defend frantically to prevent Ferguslie from increasing their tally.
The Kelburne girls got back into their stride and started to dominate in the closing stages of the match with Rachael E forcing a good save from the Ferguslie keeper.  In another attacking move Briony Coyle recovered from a trip to maintain possesion and drive forward out of her comfort zone and into the D. Kelburne saw another goal scoring opportunity denied following a goalmouth scramble following another short corner as they attempted to level the score. 
End to end play filled the final minutes of the match with Lynn Houston saving off the line, Kelburne winning a short corner for deliberate stick tackling by Ferguslie and Briony standing firm in defence to prevent Ferguslie adding to their score.  In the closing stages, against the run of play, Ferguslie won a short corner only to be denied by an excellent save from "Cookie".  Time ran out for the Kelburne girls who put in a strong team performance and were unfortunate not to take something from this game.                     

Final Score: Ferguslie 1 - Kelburne III's 0

Thanks to Barbara Morgan for umpiring.

Next match 26th November v Troon (home)

Match Report by Elaine Allan