Mens 3s "Bishop Desmond" with league leaders

Saturday 19th November 2011 
Kelburne Mens 3XI: 2 
Hillhead 3XI          : 2 

Kelburne 3XI faced the undefeated league leaders on Saturday in an away fixture that would see them go joint top of the league with a victory. With this in mind, the 3?s set about showing their intent right from the start of the game. Enjoying most of the possession, they moved the ball about well and created a few early chances. One good move involving Frenchman, Victor Evrard, and youngster JG Shepherd result in an early short corner. Looking to capitalise on this, veteran David Fowler stepped up and his ferocious drag flick looked bound for the top corner but unfortunately it clipped the top of the bar. This put Hillhead on the backfoot and Kelburne started to put real pressure on their defence. With Ruairidh McArthur putting in some excellent tackles at left back and displaying great composure on the ball to link up with his fellow school of sport pal Brodie Mackay to ensure the team were attacking down both sides of the pitch. Fabian Goldie was linking up well with Victor on the right and the 3?s were looking good and it was only time before this hard work would be rewarded. This reward came with the last touch of the ball before the half time whistle. Connor Bain played an excellent ball down the right which found the inform youngster Neil McIntyre who then found veteran Billy Anderson in the D and the outcome was a short corner. David Fowler faked a drag flick and passed the ball to Anderson who coolly slotted the ball into the net.

Half time ? Kelburne 3XI 1 Hillhead 3XI 0

Kelburne knew that the first 10 minutes of the second half would prove critical in the outcome of this game and it was unfortunate despite the great efforts of veteran Dave Magee and youngster Mark Connor at the back in keeping Hillhead away from putting Jony Barlow under pressure, that a breakthrough came from a Kelburne forced pass. Hillhead got the quick break as a result and the ball ended up in the goal despite the best efforts of Ruairidh on the goal line trying to prevent the ball from going over. Kelburne then pushed hard to regain the lead and won a few more short corners but found the Hillhead keeper in fine form. Kelburne were then awarded a penalty flick and up stepped David Fowler who proceeded to hit the post with his effort. Kelburne did not allow this missed chance to let their heads go down and they kept pushing hard for the winner. They thought they had got this with 10 minutes to go when David Fowler put a low drag flicked short corner into the Hillhead goal. The 3?s then kept good possession for a while but as they started to tire and come under more pressure they then started to look for a third goal. As a result the team lost its shape and players were found out of position when Hillhead made a quick break with a long ball. From a tight angle their striker found the goal and the game finished out a draw. Alan Ralph, the 3?s captain, summarised the game as follows: we again showed that on our day we are a force to reckon with and the youngsters are coming on leaps and bounds as each game passes. We will learn from the small mistakes we made and if we continue to improve each week then the signs for the rest of the season look very promising and we will be challenging for this league title. Kelburne 3?s face Anchor at Bellahouston on Saturday at 10.30am.

Match Report by Ralphybhoy