2 in a row for 5th XI

Saturday 26th November

Western 5 XI 0 ? 1 Kelburne 5 XI

Kelburne 5th?s had to look out their passports for the long and winding road trip to Balfron on a wet,windy,wintery morning.

The starting line up was GK David Ogilvie, defence Ed McGuire, Donald Campbell and Ronnie McGuire midfield Lucas Farndale Stevie Bain Willie Allan and Martin Byrne with forwards Jack Jamieson and Grant Toghill. The subs were James McPherson, Sandy Sneddon, and Ian Kerr

It became clear early on that this could be a tight game as both teams seemed to be equally matched. Western were trying hard to breakdown the sturdy Kelburne defence and on the occasions when they got through they found keeper David in fine form. Kelburne also had some fine play, passing the ball from defence through to either Donald or Willie and then on to the forwards but their attempts at goal were saved by the Western GK. Kelburne rotated their youngsters with James replacing Ed, Sandy replacing Jack and Ian replacing Lucas.

The major talking point of the first half was when Kelburne were awarded a penalty flick when it appeared a Western defender had stopped the ball illegally on the line. It appeared to be the wrong decision as Stevie stepped up to take the flick he purposely flicked it well wide of the post, showing why the 5th team won the fair play award last season. With several chances at each end not being taken the first half ended goalless.

Halftime 0 ? 0

The second half started with both teams having an equal share of possession, but neither team were able to score. Western started to dominate midway through the second half but found David in great form in the Kelburne goal. It was during one of those attacks that Ewan took a stick to the face and the game was called to a halt so he could be attended to. It was decided the best course of action was for Jamieson?s Ambulance service to take Ewan to the Western Infirmary, Glasgow. Kelburne had to reshape the defence with Ronnie moving to central defence and James playing left back. The defence stood strong throughout the remainder of the match.

With about three minutes left to play Willie went on one of his famous runs which ended with the ball striking the backboard. The goal was worthy of winning any game. The clock counted down without either team managing another attempt at goal. A great team performance, everyone played their part and if this was a football match the ?Man of the Match?? champagne would (I think) have gone to David Ogilvie..

Next game is Saturday 3rd December away to Glasgow Accies.

A special thanks to Mrs Kerr for allowing Ian out to play on such a horrible day.

Word from the hospital was that Ewan was allowed home after having a little cosmetic surgery( six stitches) and some botox ;-)