Mens 3s in Heaven after scoring Eleven!!!

Saturday 3rd December 2011 
Kelburne Mens 3XI: 11
Clydeside               : 2

Kelburne went into this game against Clydeside on a high after brushing aside Anchor in the previous week. Kelburne started brightly in

the cold and rainy conditions and good moves developed down both flanks which resulted in shots and eventually short corners. Three successive short corners came but none of them were put in the goal although there was a shot blocked of the line via a Clydeside players foot which should have resulted in a flick .However Kelburne continued to pin Clydeside in their own half and won another short corner through one of Frenchman Victor Evrard's many runs. This resulted in the first goal of the game. The original flick was saved by the keeper but Andrew Bremner was their on the rebound to fire the ball into the roof of the net. This seemed to spark Clydeside into life as although Kelburne continued their dominance, Clydeside were very dangerous on the break and it was through this that they leveled the game by firing a shot which beat the keeper at the near post. Kelburne went back into the lead almost instantaneously from the push back as good play down the right allowed Victor to go on another of his mazy runs and slot the ball past the keeper. But back came Clydeside again on the break. It was a bit of an annoying goal to lose as Kelburne thought they had gone 3-1 up through Jason Cairns at a short corner but his reverse stick stick shot was deemed too high although there was a suggestion it hit off an oppositions stick and hit the net. As a result Kelburne didnt set up in time and Clydeside just went straight through the middle of the park to leave a 2 on 1 against the keeper and they took advantage of this by passing round him. However, Kelburne continued to play pass and move hockey and were again ahead through another run from Victor who through some slick stick skills beat 4 defenders in the D and still had the composure to beat the keeper. And there was time yet for a fourth before half time. A quick sideline ball taken by Billy Anderson found Bremner in space who continued his run to the D beating a player and firing a low shot past the keeper.

Half time:Kelburne 4-2 Clydeside

The second half continued in the same style as a 5th goal was soon scored as Alan Ralph found a great run by Ryan Edgar who passed it on JG Shepherd who subsequently got a shout from Billy Anderson at top D who then received the ball and picked his place in the goal. Kelburne continued to dominate as Clydeside struggled to get out of their own half and their frustrations began to boil and as a 6th goal followed following a run from JG from his own half who found Jason at the back post. Again Kelburne continued the onslaught and was now just a question of how many goals they could get. A 7th goal came from a David "Musky" Fowler drag flick following good work by Neil Mcintyre to win the short corner. Frustrations again began to develop from Clydeside as a 8th and 9th goal followed in quick succession after quick thinking by JG to take a foul outside the D and drive in and pass to Billy to get his second of the game following great skill to beat the defender and slot the ball past the keeper at the best post. Jason then got his second of the game to make it 9-2. Kelburne then hit a 'dry spell' but there was still time for Bremner to get his 3rd and 4th goal of the game. Bremner fired a shot from top D to make it 10-2 and there was still time for an 11th after neat play on the baseline from Mark Connor and Bremner who cheekily volleyed the ball into the net after "keepy uppys" along the baseline.

Final score: Kelburne 11-2 Clydeside

A great all-round performance considering the conditions and helped our goal difference significantly. Kelburne will hope to continue this form next week against Strathclyde next week before breaking up for the winter break.

Match Report by JG