Never-say-die Ladies 3s earn a point with late equaliser

Saturday 3rd December 2011 
Kelburne Ladies 3s: 2  

Garnock Ladies     : 2

Kelburne Ladies had to battle the elements (wind, freezing temperatures and heavy rain) as well as the opposition to earn a well deserved draw.  The Kelburne girls got off to a good start winning an early short corner unfortunately the girls were unable to convert this to a goal.  Following a period of fairly even play Kelburne managed to string together some nice passing which resulted in Rachael Ewing slotting the ball into the net to put Kelburne ahead.  Unfortunately the Kelburne defense had a lapse of concentration and were punished by the Garnock team who managed to equalise.  Kelburne then piled on the pressure with the mixture of youth and experience combining to create two shots on goal and several short corners but they were unable to make their dominance count. 

Half time: Kelburne 1 - Garnock 1

Garnock started the second half strongly with Ellie Halliday making an excellent save off the line to prevent Garnock taking the lead.  Some end to end play followed with Jen Owen showing skill and endurance picking the ball up in defence and pushing forward into the Garnock D passing to Rachael Ewing was unfortunate not to score.  Ellie and Briony then had to perform some frantic defending to keep scores level.  With play pushing forward the brave spectators saw some nice play from Ellie who sped forward from defence, passing to Rachael who saw a second shot go high over the bar.  Nice teamwork continued with Ellie passing to Rachael E who pushed the ball to young Rachel Bain in the D who was unlucky not to score.  Kelburne continued to pressurise the Garnock defence earning two more short corners and having a shot saved off the line.

Totally against the run of play Garnock had a rare foray into the Kelburne D winning a short corner and scoring to put them ahead.  The Kelburne girls responded with some good individual and team play resulting on efforts on goal from Bethany and Hannah being unlucky not to score from a shot across goal from Jen Owen.  Despite their efforts the girls were unable to find the net.   Frustration started to seep into their game as they continued to strive for a much deserved equaliser. Hayley Skimming demonstrated some nice individual skill as she tried to break through the Garnock defence.  With some good team play down the right from Hayley, Bethany and Rachel B the girls were unable to penetrate the Garnock defense who packed the D with players to defend their lead.  In the closing minutes of the game Kelburne won a short corner and saw Jen Owen shoot over the net.  In the dying seconds of the game the girls continued to pressurise the Garnock defense with Rachael E pushing through several Garnock defenders and passed the ball into the D where it was slotted over the line for an equaliser, there was some confusion over who actually netted the final goal but Jen deemed Bethany to be the scorer.  Following the nail biting finish the players and supporters were delighted with the much deserved equaliser although with a bit more luck and sharper finishing the Kelburne girls could have earned a comfortable victory.

Final score: Kelburne III's 2 - Garnock 2

Many thanks to Judith Crawford for umpiring. Next match Saturday 10th December against Western Wildcats II

Match Report by Elaine Allan