5s lose out in Renfrewshire Derby

Kelburne 5 XI 0-3 Greenock 2 XI
In the lead up to this game the Kelburne fives were hoping that their home encounter against Greenock was going to be as good a game as the away fixture was in Greenock, but as the week developed it was clear that player availability was going to be a key issue and this culminated in Captain Willie Allen having to call off on Saturday morning due to work commitments.
The majority of the development squad who ended up at Bellahouston were all playing in their first competitive season with the notable exceptions of Keeper David Ogilvie, supervet Alan Bryce, veteran Ronnie McGuire along with the ever robust duo of Donald Campbell and Ewan HP Crawford.
But because of the experience which the rest of the squad of Grant Toghill, Sandy Sneddon, James Woods, Martin Byrne, Lucas Farndale, the newest teenager in the squad James MacPherson and twelve year olds Ed McGuire and Jack Jamieson, have gained in their exploits over the first half of the season, they definitely did not seem phased by the task before them despite most of them lining up in positions which they were not used to. Super sub Ian ?Bambi? McIntyre (46) was welcomed by the fives to his first ever league game.
The game started and Kelburne tried to take the game to the opposition but the development squad found themselves defending for the first fifteen minutes in their own half, often deep in their own D. Despite stout defence of short corners at ten and fifteen minutes Greenock scored after another at seventeen minutes. A fourth short corner was won by Greenock at twenty minutes. Keeper David Ogilvie saved the first shot which was well above backboard height and as the Kelburne players waited for the Umpires whistle, Greenock scored a second. Despite protestations from the squad and a difference of opinion with the other umpire, the goal stood.
After twenty five minutes player/coach Steve Bain turned to McIntyre and told him to get warmed up. Spectators have never known Ian to be so quiet, perhaps it was nerves which struck Ian as he realised his boyhood dream of taking to the pitch in the colours of the "Mighty Burne" (in fact onlookers are sure that he was wearing the same strip Kelburne used all those years ago). The moment came, the substitution was made, he bounded eagerly onto the pitch to take up his position in attack, and by the look of him he was exhausted by the time he got there.
The rest of the first half played out with Kelburne down the left hand side with Grant Toghill trying to create half chances.
Half time Kelburne 5 XI 0 ? 2 Greenock 2 XI
In his half time team talk, Bain tried to inspire his young development squad including pointing out to young Jamieson where his hockey stick would end up if he continued to pass using reverse flicks.
Kelburne started the 2nd half brightly and tried to take the game to Greenock but try as they may Greenock seemed to have the advantage. Coach Bain continued to rotate his squad with many playing in positions unfamiliar to them with them all doing a sterling job against the far more experienced opposition which included two players recently acquired from the Greenock 1?s . Ronnie McGuire moved to more of a midfield position and tried to drive forward and lead by example and at this point Kelburne were playing good hockey and were giving Greenock a hard time. The best Kelburne move of the day was an attack down the right hand side with a series of excellent passes, the final ball was played to the back post where Bambi?s first time effort fizzed just past the post. With five minutes remaining a Kelburne attack was broken down and Greenock burst through with two on one and slotted the ball past keeper David Ogilvie.
Kelbune 5 XI 0 ? 3 Greeenock 2 XI
The fives face Giffnock this weekend at Bellahouston, let?s hope the fives can be bolstered by some more experienced members and pick up some much need points and that our super sub gets to use his new shoes again!