Disappointing Return for Ladies 1's

Giffnock Ladies : 5  Kelburne Ladies :1


A wet and wild Saturday in Glasgow provided the setting for the first game for Kelburne Ladies 1stXI  since the winter break. Lining up against their rivals Giffnock the Paisley side were aware that this would be a tough and physical match.


Kelburne started calmly, focusing on keeping possession even under the strain of a very high press from the Glasgow team.  This unfortunately resulted in a defensive error allowing Giffnock to break. With the majority of the Kelburne Squad higher up the pitch marking was an issue and left keeper Cath Rae exposed in the goal.


A second goal followed shortly in much the same manner. The slow reactions from the Kelburne players allowed the Giffnock strikers to pounce on any loose balls which, in the ?D? was a obliviously a grave error.  Kelburne rallied after the second goal and managed to push up well in to the Giffnock half which resulted in a number of short corners being awarded but failed to convert. Giffnock?s third goal came before half time, with the Kelburne players pushing high to get back into the game they were exposed at the back and Giffnock capitalised on this.


After the half time break Kelburne emerged with a renewed focus on intensity. The half time talk hit home with the Paisley side who played with far more passion than they had in the first half of the game.


Kelburne sustained a further blow when they were temporarily reduced to 10 players when Frances McKeown received a yellow card for a rash tackle in the ?D?. During this time Giffnock put their fourth goal away putting any hope of a come back out of reach. Once back to full strength Kelburne again came back into the game and put the Giffnock defence under pressure. Again Kelburne were awarded short corners but to no avail.


Giffnock?s fifth and final goal came from an attack down the right hand side. With some scrappy play from both teams the ball broke in the ?D? and the Giffnock striker did well to find the back of the net from a tight angle.


Kelburne?s consolation goal came courtesy of Adele Dasty. A Giffnock midfield player was dispossessed in the middle of the pitch by McKeown who then drove forward deep into the Giffnock half. The ball was played to Dasty who was unmarked in the ?D?. Her first time shot was saved by the Giffnock keeper but the rebound fell back out to Dasty who calmly lifted the ball into the goal. There was time for one final drama in the game when a controversial penalty was awarded to Giffnock when defender Kate Longbotham was deemed to be the last man and the ball hit her foot. Rae remained calm and focussed even with the terrible conditions and denied Giffnock of a sixth goal.


The game ended 5:1


The ladies play Western Wildcats next week in a must win match.