Another Bremner hat-trick as 3rds continue winning ways

Having already beaten the students (2-0) a fortnight prior to this encounter, Captain A.Ralph asked his troops for another three points and improved team work. Despite missing J.Barlow, W.Anderson and V.Evrard, Kelburne were bolstered by the return of M.Connor from injury and club legends M.Robertson, M.Carnachan and C.Walker.

From push back Strathclyde looked gittery in possession and further pressure from Kelburne's three-quarter press, left the students struggling to complete their passes. This was a recurring feature of the half, during which most play was confined to the visitors' end. Kelburne distributed the ball with composure but lacked cutting edge within the Strathclyde circle, usually resulting in a sixteen yard hit. However the deadlock was broken after 19 minutes when Kelburne were rewarded for their slick passing. JG.Shepherd collected the ball on the right side of goal from M.Carnachan and with single minded determination, rifled a rising shot through the goalkeeper. (1-0)

In search of an equaliser Strathclyde committed men forward, but tenacious defending resulted in a counter attack and the game's highlight goal for Kelburne. A quick series of passes saw the ball move from right back via C.Walker to M.Connor at left midfield. From here M.Connor's first time swept pass managed to find the outstretched stick of a diving A.Bremner on the penalty spot. The sprawling keeper's effort to rush and clear were futile as A.Bremner deflected the ball into the bottom corner. (2-0)

Strathclyde resorted to ultra-defensive tactics but through a combination of hurried passes and interesting stickwork Kelburne managed to find A.Bremner once more. Surrounded by defenders and with his back to goal, the target man faked a J-turn and then shimmied right to reverse stick hook the ball at goal. Not the prettiest finish but credit to the striker for finding a way past the keeper and secure a comfortable (3-0) lead at half time.

Evidently fatigue set in and Kelburne's second half performance was less impressive. The cohension was lost, basic technique faltered, and poor pass selection presented the fitter visitors with opportunities to score. On two such occasions M.Robertson and the Kelburne defence put up gallant resistance and conceded short corners which were subsequently unconverted. However it was from a long corner that Strathclyde took their chance, as the ball was forced towards back post where an unmarked attacker gratefully scored. (3-1)

Towards the final whistle both teams lost their structure and frantic counter-attack followed frantic counter-attack. After a smartly taken hit-to-self on the left wing C.Walker drove the baseline on his reverse stick and slipped to ball inside to A.Bremner who was just able to scramble it home. (4-1)
Andy Bremner when scoring Kelburne's 4th goal also brought up the teams 100th league goal of the season, fantastic achievement for the young development team.