3rd XI advance in Plate Competition

Western 4XI - 0
Kelburne 3XI - 4

Kelburne 3XI travelled to local rivals Western for their cup game on the opponent's new water based pitch and with the two clubs 1XIs  also playing each other in the Scottish cup, the 3's knew that nothing short of a solid victory was required. Kelburne started the game slowly with some poor basics and sloppy passes going astay. This went against the pre-match team talk but soon Kelburne hit the level of performance that they know they can deliver. With Connor Bain at right back and Brodie McKay at left back hitting great passes down the line, Kelburne soon started to dominate possession. It was on one of these moves down the left that Kelburne won a side line hit. Brodie took it quickly and found Adam McIness in space who coolly played a first time pass to Andy Bremner in Western's D. Andy turned quickly and drilled a low powerful shot past the stranded Western goalie. The remainder of the 1st half saw Kelburne maintain the majority of possession but poor decision making in the final 1/4 of the pitch meant no further goals were added.

Half time: Western 0, Kelburne 1.

After a good half time talk by coach Steve Foster and captain Alan Ralph, Kelburne started the 2nd half brightly. The press on Western hits was working and this resulted in numerous opportunities for Kelburne to increase their lead. After another excellent run from Frenchman Victor Evrard, the 3's won a short corner. JG Shepherd's push out was a little off target but was picked up by Adam McIness who took it into the D and fired a low range effort that Western could not stop from entering their goal, 2-0. Kelburne pushed hard again from the restart and soon they were 3 up when another short corner saw a neat switch by Ralph to Matt McGinley who then fired a pass into the path of the advancing Bremner whose deflection caught Western off guard and again the ball ended up in their goal. By now, the game was effectively over so Kelburne started to move the younger players around and tried them out in different positions. Connor Bain found himself playing upfront and made some terrific pick ups from Adam McIness' passes down the line. On one of the occasions that Connor found himself in the D his initial shot was saved well by the Western goalie, Connor then had a rebound attempt that again was well saved but this time the ball broke to Victor whose fierce drive beat the goalie for Kelburne's 4th of the game. Kelburne finished the game strong and if this form is maintained then things are looking good for the future with this young team.

The semi finals will be played on the 28th April in Stirling. Kelburne's next and final league game is on Saturday 14th April against Western.

Match report by Alan Ralph