Mens 2s complete the League and Cup double!

Scottish District Cup Final

Kelburne 2nd XI:      3
Clydesdale 2nd XI:   0

Kelburne travelled to Peffermill looking to emulate their 1st XI counterparts by completing the league and cup double.  The team was at full strength after Matt McGinley and Chris Reid passed late fitness tests.  With coach Gordon Menzies running through the tactics for the day the team was well prepared for the game ahead.

The game started with Clydesdale pressing high up the pitch but without creating any chances.  Soon Kelburne settled and retained possession further up the pitch which in the sixth minute, lead to the opening goal.  This was created by some good work down the left hand side where Matt McGinley was found free at the top of the circle.  He weaved past one defender and slipped the ball passed the keeper for Gordon Menzies to slam the ball home for the opening goal.   The goal lead to Kelburne controlling large parts of the game for the next 10 minutes with Clydesdale relying on the counter attack to try and find an equalizer.

18 minutes gone and the ?Burne? were two up, after a short corner which Colin Bryce bounced into the bottom right corner.  Kelburne pressed forward looking for a third with some excellent leads from Player of the Year, Ed Greaves and Miles Goldie but the Clydesdale defence stood strong. 

Clydesdale?s best chance of the half came when a misplaced pass from Captain Fraser Scott was intercepted but Fergus Barrows came out of his goal to clear the danger.  With half time approaching Clydesdale won a short corner which Fergus saved well down to his right.

Half Time 2 ? 0

The team grabbed some water to listen to coach Menzies and team manager for the day, Ewan Carmichael on the analysis of the first half.

At the start of the half Kelburne were fully aware that Clydesdale would press them hard as they looked to get back in the game.  This put Kelburne?s defence under some more pressure but in turn led to more space for the midfield of McGinley, Hutchison and Bryce once the ball was worked out from the back. 

Midway through the half Clydesdale thought they were back in the game but their goal was disallowed as the umpire adjudged the ball to be dangerous. 

The best chance of the half by far fell to ever improving Jack McKenzie who got across his defender to deflect Colin Bryce?s cross but former Kelburne keeper, Steven Irvine, saved well.

The game was effectively over when Menzies grabbed his second of the match with a straight strike from a short corner which went through the keeper?s legs.

As Clydesdale threw everything at Kelburne to try and salvage something from the game the defence of Reid, Nicol, Scott and McAllister held strong.

Late cards to Bryce (green) and Godfrey (yellow) fortunately did not cost Kelburne.  With a minute remaining Kelburne could have had a fourth but Harry Godfrey?s reverse strike sailed over the bar.

Final whistle 3-0 Kelburne to secure the cup for the sixth time in 10 years.

After the game Captain Scott said ?All players can be very proud of themselves today and throughout the season for again having another tremendous year.  Also special mention must go to the parents and supporters that came out to watch the final and all their other games this season".

With the season over the players can look forward to a break before pre-season starts again in a few months as the team looks to build on its historic success.

Match Report by Fraser Scott