Ladies 2s look promising despite loss

Kelburne Ladies 2s versus Glasgow Accies

Saturday 8th September 2012

The second eleven ladies continued their season with atrip away to Glasgow Accies at Upper Windy edge.  With a depleted squad of eleven, the young and relatively inexperienced team showed maturity beyond their years to compete against a very strong Accies side.  Captained by Jennifer Morgan, the Kelburne Ladies were up against it right from the first whistle as the fixture started with only ten players on the pitch.  Needless to say the Kelburne girls were pinned in their own half for a long spell and found themselves one nil down after Accies converted the first corner of the game.  Nevertheless Kelburne struck back and received a corner of their own after some strong attacking play from Drew Berry and Meera Patel.   Emma Ryan's strike narrowly missed the Accies left hand post. Strong performances by J Morgan, Ellie Halliday and Katie Bogan contained the Accies attacks, with Heather Fleming in goals sweeping up any loose balls.  After 15 minutes Rachael Ewing arrived to even out the sides with eleven players each,  a surge of attacks followed which Kelburne failed to convert.   It was not long before the Glasgow Accies counter attacked the high Kelburne attack and Jen Morgan and Heather Fleming were left with no answer to an early through ball and strike. 

Half time 2-0 

With the sun shining at Upper Windy Edge the second half started much more positively with Kelburne looking to take the game to the Glasgow side.  Ryan moved into defence and brought some strength to the back line, whilst Bogan ensured that the defence were supported and a clear link was seen between the forward line.  Fiona McGowan linked well in the forward line and placed the Wanderers defence under increasing pressure.  Berry came close on a few occasions and narrowly failed to finish some strong right side attacks.  However the pace of Glasgow Accies proved too much for Kelburne and goal was conceded after another quick break.   With bruised egos the Kelburne seconds showed maturity and dignity to stay composed and positive for the remainder of the game.  Halliday moved into midfield and brought a renewed energy to the team.  The girls won three corners in quick succession but were unable to convert any.  A through run by Ewing saw her reverse shot saved, but not the rebound, and the Ladies deservedly pulled a goal back. Spurred on by the goal, Kelburne retained possession, created more attacks and claimed another corner before the final whistle blew.  Although the match ended in defeat, the seconds looked good in spells and definitely have something to build on for the coming season.

Final Score 3-1

Match Report by Rach Ewing