Thomsons Cycles Kelburne in Seventh Heaven

Thomson Cycles Kelburne 2nd XI    7
Edinburgh University 2nd XI        1

Thomson Cycles Kelburne 2nd XI welcomed Edinburgh University 2nd XI to Bellahouston with both teams looking to build on their 100% start to the season.  Kelburne knew this was going to be a tough game after only managing a draw against the students last season.

Kelburne started the game the brighter of the two, managing to retain possession high up the pitch, but without creating any clear cut chances.  The first chance fell to Adam Bain after good work from Andy Bremner to win a penalty corner.  Bain dispatched the straight strike from the corner to find the goal.  The strike did look a little high but the opposition umpire seemed to miss that, (it would not be the last thing he missed during the game either).  Kelburne were soon two up after Andy Bremner forced home the rebound after Lee Morton hit the post.

Edinburgh University were finding it difficult to get a foothold in the game with the Burne pressing high up the field.  The high tempo set by Kelburne resulted in another penalty corner, this time the ball was slipped left to Ian Horsfield who tidily tucked the ball in the bottom left corner 3-0.

With only two minutes left of the half Kelburne were caught on the ball in midfield and the students managed to force a shot through Fergus Barrows legs to reduce the score line.  This was the first goal the 2?s had conceded in 313 minutes and the first this season.

Halftime 3 ? 1 

The second half started much the same as the first with Kelburne controlling much of the possession and Edinburgh University looking to counter attack.

It wasn?t long before Kelburne had a fourth when Lee Morton?s very wayward shot, which many of the home crowd thought was heading for the side line, took a wicked deflection and beat the keeper.

5 minutes later Lee finally had the goal he deserved, after good work from the forward line left him an easy finish from 5 yards out.

The home team were comfortable in defence even with Harry Godfrey and Lee Morton feeling it necessary to pass to the centre forward.  The students best chance came from some ?favourable??  decisions from their umpire.  First a penalty corner which Fraser Scott expertly saved off the line after Fergus Barrows was beaten all ends up by the powerful drag flick.  The second corner Barrows cleared to keep the score at 5 ? 1. 

Kelburne won their third corner of the game after some neat interchanging play around the circle.  Again Bain found the corner to take his tally to 4 goals in 3 games.

With 5 minutes remaining first Captain Fraser Hutchison was shown a green card for hitting the ball away after breaking play down in the centre of the pitch, then Fraser Scott was shown a yellow card after complaining to the umpire after his perfectly timed tackle was somehow deemed to be a foul.  This topped of an unimpressive performance from the away umpire.

Only minutes remained when Kelburne completed the scoring when Lee Morton capitalised on the defences slack play to fire the ball into the roof of the net for his second of the game.

Full time 7 ? 1. 

Thomson Cycles Kelburne have next weekend off as some players are involved in the 1st XI Euro Hockey League adventures.  Best of luck to the team on their travels down to London.

Thomson Cycles Kelburne next game will be against last year?s runners up, Grange at Bellahouston.

Match Report by Fraser Scott